Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Combining Bandwitdh of 2 x AiroNet 340 Wireless Bridges

I have 2 point to point links to link to a nearby office (100 metres - LOS), with Nortel 450T Baystack Switches on both ends. The units are AiroNet 340 Wireless Bridges. This has worked fine for 12 months although we have never felt we have had good performance with this setup.

The Nortels are configure at either end to Multilink Trunk both ports (at both ends) the ethernet connections from the Aironets.

Is this the best way to aggregate the throughput? Should Tree Spanning be enable or disabled? Are there any other switch or wireless setting that should be implemeted to improve performance?

Regards,

Dale Bentley

4 REPLIES

Re: Combining Bandwitdh of 2 x AiroNet 340 Wireless Bridges

The classic setup is to have each set of bridges on the same channel, seperate channels per set (1 to 1 and 11 to 11 works best). On each side the bridges should attach to switch ports configured as trunk ports, as you have done. Assuming strong signal strength and signal quality, this should effectively double the throughput, which should be a total of around 6-8Mb.

Is that close to what you are receiving? If not you may have interference from other devices, or something in the freznel zone...faulty antenna, too much attenuation from a long cable, faulty lightning arrestors...

Spanning-tree would cut that in half as it would detect the 2nd bridge set as redundant and shut down the 2nd set to avoid a loop - so, no, do not enable spanning-tree.

Our setup is actually from the local Cisco Office Building in Melbourne (Casselden Place), Australia to the building just across the road (60 metres).

We are getting someone in to test the signal strength and also to retest the Antennae and alignment. The sniffer analysis shows lots of retransmissions and errors.

Should tree spanning be disabled in the config of the Aironet Bridges themselves?

Do you have any tech contacts in the Melbourne Office that could assist with troubleshooting or testing?

Regards,

Dale Bentley

If you are going through glass you will get errors. Most glass is tinted and the RF energy gets reflected back at it. Also you should be using the connections as layer 3 not trunk links. Have routing on both ends of the links and each link on a sperate vlan and on a seperate SSID to keep the links seperate. You will save on Spanning-tree and you will save on the broadcasts that are going to eat up performance......

Can you give me details of a layer 3 setup you recommend.

I gather routers at both ends, etc , etc. Give me some specs of Hardware required to do the job.

Regards,

Dale Bentley

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content