Views
Helpful
Replies

Config migration from WLC 4400 to WLC 4400

tgrundbacher
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

My customer has made a trade-in from a WLC 4400 to a WLC 5500. How do I migrate the existing config from the old to the new platform? Can I use the backed-up config of the WLC 4400 (I guess not due to the hardware-parameters which are different)? Or is there a conversion tool?

The WLC 4400 already runs a 6.x release.

Thanks

Toni

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think there is an actual Cisco way of doing that.  Other than manually configuring the 5500, you can open try to open the backup configuration in notepad and edit it and then send the commands manually to the 5500.  I would just configure it manually:)

Scott.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've just successfully copied a config from a 4400 to a 5508 by downloading the config file (using HTTPS) via the Service Port. 

Leo,

Good to know... so did you loose any configurations at all (radius shared key, certificates) and what happened to the ap-manager interface when you restored the 4400 config to the 5500... just not created it I guess?

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

what happened to the ap-manager interface when you restored the 4400 config to the 5500... just not created it I guess?

Yes correct.  The 5508 just took the config and chugged along.  Configuration didn't have any RADIUS stuff in `em though.

Thanks for your replies, guys. Just for you to let you know, my local Cisco channel systems engineer confirmed that there's no tool available and that you could try to copy&paste some parameters of the text config, yet there's no guarantee for success for that.

So the only recommended thing to do by now is to build the entire config on the WLC 5500 from scratch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card