Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a 1130 WAP as a Repeater - PEAP Issues

jackdobiash
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have a Wireless Infrastructure already in place using several 1130AG WAP's. The authentication for the clients is done by setting the WAP up to pass the credentials to our Windows 2003 IAS server (RADIUS). The client side works fine. I am trying to see about the possibility of setting up an 1130 in Repeater mode in case we need to cover a large outdoor area for a short period of time, but I am running into issues with the authentication. It looks like the Repeater WAP tries to authenticate itself through the Root WAP as a client (which looks to be normal behaivor), but the Windows IAS server doesn't seem to recognize the EAP type. It always kicks back an "Error 22 - Unknown EAP Type (paraphrasing the error message)". Now, from what research I've done it appears that Cisco and Microsoft have compatibility issues with their PEAP, which is what I'm using to authenticate clients. Is there a way to configure the WAP to use PEAP that MS will understand or am I just wasting my time? Is there another way to set up the authentication? I tried to find a way to make the Repeater WAP just authenticate directly with the Root WAP but was unable to (and still preserve the Client passthrough authentication on both WAPs). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Try the import-export method with custom values or Re-installed the ACS

Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm not using any type of central management tool such as ACS to configure this, it's all done on each WAP individually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card