cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 350 Bridge to 350 Workgroup bridge?

letnet
Level 1
Level 1

Can you connect a 350 Workgroup bridge as a client to a 350 bridge in Access Point mode?

The goals is to get connectivity to 4-5 stations at a distance of .75 mile without having to use two bridges - if possible. Was thinknig of using the AIR-ANT3549 antenna...

If not - is it truly possible in "real life" to use the 350 series bridge ion access point mode to connect directly to a client at that distance (with the AIR-ANT3549 antenna again...

- Ken

4 Replies 4

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

Why not use a 350 AP? Especially since you can get them for less than $650 now.

You can hit a client PC directly at .75 miles, but you may want to use LMC cards with antennas on the back of the monitor instead of PMC cards.

Matthew Wheeler

Hm...Thanks Matt!

A follow-up query...(I'm not an expert here so forgive any bad assumptions :-)

Max distance on a 350 access point is going to be about 700 feet with a directional antenna according to cisco docs - true? (Maybe not?) I'm at about 4000 - actually have another potentiall aplplication at about 8000 feet but that's a different issue... (I'm talking reasonably guaranteed connectivity from a corporate standpoint - not what would theoretically work if you fooled with it :-) I don't want to have to explain why i have to play with it every other week to get signal again - if possible :-)

**I should be able to use the same directional antenna on the workgroup bridge pointing back at the bridge and/or AP right?

bfults
Level 1
Level 1

On your 1st question: In order for a Workgroup bridge to talk to a 350 Multifunction bridge it must be set to root mode. I have tested this extensively in house. CISCO's documentation on this is not clear, I found 1 location that said to set it to AP and another said to set it to Root. Anyway if you set a 350 Multifunction bridge to root mode you can connect to it with Non-root bridges, Workgroup bridges, and Client adaptors all at the same time. I have some installations up to 3 miles with 12 dBi omni on Root and the 21 dBi dish on client. Always remember to calculate the COAX loss in the range utility and have line of site and you will be fine.

a.iliev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, you can do what you think. It is true that if you put the bridge in root mode you will be able to connect to non root bridges, however, as specified in cisco's documentation the bridge should be set to AP mode. After all, it is simply a matter of changing the mode of the bridge :-))))

You can easily try it both ways.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card