cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting the 720 with WiSM module to MSFC2

fmirza007
Level 1
Level 1

What is the easiest way to connect a 720 switch running a WiSM to a Core running MSFC2 module. Layer2 or Layer3???

15 Replies 15

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

I am using the same doc...It assumes that the management IP and the AP manager IP are in the same subnet, can I use a different subnet to configure the management IP. Should the IP address of the Managment, AP manager and all the APs be in the same subnet?

They can be in the same subnet or another one.

Now you have to be a little careful, and make sure that if you use a WCS, it has to be then on the same subnet as the management interface.

Ok I will make sure that the WCS is on the same subnet. When I am configuring the vlan on the 720 for the management of the wism (in the cisco doc its vlan 40) since now that I am using our management vlan for the network for management int of the controller and a new subnet for ap-manager interface, do I need to creat two seperate Vlans and a new vlan interface for the ap-manager to work?

Most commonly people use the same subnet for both : ap-manager and management. If you really have a reason not to, i recommend you sticking with 1 vlan.

Also then, the WCS subnet wont matter. See, if the subnets of ap-manager and management are different, the WCS will have to come in and leave the WLC from the management interface and not the ap-manager.

With both on the same vlan, you can have other subnet for WCS, it wont mess with the ap-manager.

The reason we are using a different subnet for the Management interface is because we have a management vlan that we use for management of all of our Cisco devices, the ap-manager IP address is in the subnet of all the APs therefore the two are in different subnets. The Vlan for the management as described in the cisco config doc refers to the both ap-manager and management IPs. therefore since we are using two different subnets for the interfaces do we need to make sure that both are assigned to vlans ie ap-manager (vlan 40) and managment (our own vlan)??

Would you recommend using to WiSM modules in a single Chassis??

I am also getting this error message, when I try to configure the service trunks for the WiSM Module....

c1swlan(config)#int range gigabitEthernet 7/1-4

% GigabitEthernet7/1 interface cannot be modified please change the range

% Command rejected: Interface is not configurable

c1swlan(config)#

you need to disable the auto-lag.

Check this bug:

CSCsh80130 Add warning/comments to interfaces when Auto Lag is used for interface

As far as chassis, you can use the wism with all other line cards in your switch no problem. You can use up to I believe 9 WisM cards in a cat6k.

You should be fine with sticking to vlan 40 then, as you explained.

I looked at the Bug, but could not figure out what I am suppose to do to fix it, plus I am running 12.2(33)SXI2 version of the IOS, which is the latest and it said it is fixed for this ver of the IOS. Also what is the syntax to disable the auto-lag feature?

Thanks

On your switch, remove :

wism module X controller Y allowed-vlan 1

executed the command and still getting the same error message...

c1swlan(config)#int range g7/1-4

% GigabitEthernet7/1 interface cannot be modified please change the range

% Command rejected: Interface is not configurable

c1swlan(config)#

upload your show tech, something is missing.

I understand you are clearing the config.

So try after that and if same issue persists, please post here your show tech.

OK so I found out that there is a bug for 12.2(33)SXI2a;

As discussed the bug you are hitting is CSCsw51658.

Symptom:

- WISM with factory defaults is not acquiring IP address on autoconfig.

Conditions:

- This only happens with SXI because its on SXI that sanity check on DHCP is made, SXF and SXH don't have this issue because it does not make this kind of sanity check.

so I am going to try uploading SXH....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: