cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity Issues with 1400 Wireless Bridge

venom43212
Level 4
Level 4

Just seeing if anyone has run into a similar problem....I have two 1400 outdoor wireless bridges. They have been in place for a couple of years without issue. This past week, the non-root bridge began dropping it's association, at first randomly, then consistently. Both bridges have been replaced, antennas (AIR-ANT58G10SSA-N) on both have been replaced, and a spectrum analyzer has been used to verify there is not a problem over the air...the ditance between the two is >=1000 feet. Debugs show no reason for the drop, and when the two are asscoaited, the RSSI is averaging around -78. It had been down since Thursday, then last night, as another step in the process of elimination, we replaced the power injector on the root side, and the two bridges associated. They were up for two hours, then went down again, and then started going up and down randomly. As an additional step in the process of elimnation, we are now going to move the power source that the PI is connected to. Anyone ever run into something similar before or have any additional ideas? Thanks in advance.

Below is the most information I can glean from the logs

*Mar 1 06:31:39 pst: %DOT11-4-UPLINK_ESTABLISHED: Interface Dot11Radio0, Associated To AP KAirBridge_Para 0019.566e.be47 [None WPA PSK]

*Mar 1 06:31:39 pst: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 06:31:41 pst: %DOT11-4-UPLINK_DOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, parent lost: Received deauthenticate (2) not valid

*Mar 1 06:31:41 pst: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

*Mar 1 06:31:42 pst: %DOT11-4-UPLINK_ESTABLISHED: Interface Dot11Radio0, Associated To AP KAirBridge_Para 0019.566e.be47 [None WPA PSK]

*Mar 1 06:31:42 pst: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

*Mar 1 06:32:05 pst: %DOT11-4-UPLINK_DOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, parent lost: Received deauthenticate (2) not valid

*Mar 1 06:32:05 pst: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

7 Replies 7

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Have you tried shutting down / not using authentication?

The log you posted appears to be an auth failure.

If it initially authenticates then fails re-auth, check the key rotation periods at both ends.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks Scott...I have tried changing the auth paramters (we use WPA and I changed the PSK on both sides), but have not disabled it, that's a good idea and I will try it. I believe the key roation is disabled by default and I haven't configured it....it may be a parameter I will try configuring in further trouble shooting. Thanks again.

Hi Venom,

Something isn't right with your RSSI. -78dBm is a terribly weak signal that can easily cause drops. Anything below -70 is weak.

Seeing as these antennas are only 1000 feet apart, I'm not sure how it's possible that this signal is so bad. How long are the cables between the bridges and antennas? Are the bridges set to full power?

Yeah, power save is off, the cable run is only about 20 feet. The radio interface was shut down last night so that alerts weren't generated through the night due to flapping, I opened the interface earlier and right now both are up and have been for about an hour. I agree, -78 is not a great signal...currently, looking at the association, the root is at -64 and the non-root is at -62...will update if there is a status change. Thanks.

Did you change out the cable? If you didn't use coax seal initially, then the cable might be corroded.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Problem seems to be resolved. After some storms, it appears water had gotten into the lightning arrester. That was replaced and all seems to be stable.

Also, replacing the bridges themselves, especially the root bridge, seems to have been a part of the resolution as well as the lightning arrester.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card