cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert a 2602i from lightweight to autonomous?

dkleimbach
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CAP2602i that I would like to convert from lightweight to autonomous.  Is this possible as with the older APs? 

I'm following the instructions for the older models http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272 with the adjustment of renaming file ap3g2-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar to ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default.

Here is my console output at the point that I am failing:

process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1

process_config_recovery: image recovery

image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g2-k9w7

-tar.default

examining image...

DPAA Set for Independent Mode

DPAA_INIT = 0x0

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default (connection timed o

ut)ap:

ap:

The IP address of my PC is set to 10.0.0.2.  The max timeout I can set on my TFTP server is 20 seconds.  Could this be my problem?

Thanks in advance!  Any help would be apprectiated!

13 Replies 13

dkleimbach
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to get this AP converted from lightweight to autonomous using the following method.

Step 1 Log into the CLI on the controller to which the access point is associated.

Step 2 Enter this command:

config ap tftp-downgrade tftp-server-ip-address filename access-point-name

I still wouldn't mind knowing if there is a doc out there on Cisco.com on the proper steps to convert a 2600 from lightweight to autonomous.  If anyone knows of anything please share.

Otherwise, this has solved my issue for now.

Can someone help me....
I need to switch my 2602e from lightweight to autonomous mode. But I don't have access to the device from the console port.
Is it possible console port be locked using any kind of configuration? I see garbage on my terminal any serial settings I tried. 
Is any familiar with this issue ?

Thanks....

Problem Solved !!!

Although the same roll-over console cable is working fine with all my other Cisco devices it refuses to operate on any 2602x series access point. I use usb to serial converter.
It sounds crazy but it's true. When I switch to other PC and with a different RS-232 rollover cable I had access to my AP at once !!!

I've heard same problem from one more installer who suggested me to switch PC with a real RS-232 port on it.

mmangat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am going to show you the easiest way...

you will need:

-CLI access to the unit

-TFTPd32

-ethernet cable

-dhcp (not really needed)

one you are on the unit..

the process will be:

debug lwapp console cli

debug lwapp client no-reload

archive download-sw /overwrite  tftp://10.0.0.1/c1130-k9w7-tar.124-10b.JDA3.tar

Hi Mantej,

It does not work with these new APs 1600/2600.

You need to perform these steps:

• Restart the Access Point
  • While it loads the image in flash, press Escape, you’ll enter ROMMON mode:

The system boot has been aborted. The following

commands will finish loading the operating system
software:

ether_init

tftp_init

boot

• Set the IP address for the gigabit 0 interface:

ap: set IP_ADDR 10.0.0.1

ap: set netmask 255.255.255.0

• Initialize the tftp, ethernet and flash subsystems:

ap: tftp_init

tftp_init success: You can now use tftp file system!

ap: ether_init

Initializing ethernet port 0...

Ethernet speed is 100 Mb - FULL Duplex

ap: flash_init

Initializing Flash...

...The flash is already initialized.

• Load the image from TFTP and extract it to flash:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.100/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar flash

• After it’s done, set the correct bootimage:

ap: set BOOT flash://ap3g2-k9w7-mx.152-2.JB/ap3g2-k9w7-xx.152-2.JB

• Boot the system:

ap: boot

I have 2602i and try to convert LWAPP to Autonomous by

pursuing above steps but i m getting connection time out msg on access point consol monitor.

Hi,

Console port can't be locked (as fart as I know) , however there is a reset button on the AP. Hold on reset button for 20-30 seconds in order to reset AP.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-364966-224042/APreset.png

if AP is connected to WLC and You have access to WLC, try these commands to convert AP to autonomous mode (as dkleimbach said):

Step 1 Log into the CLI on the controller to which the access point is associated.

Step 2 Enter this command:

config ap tftp-downgrade tftp-server-ip-address filename access-point-name

It happened to own one AIR-CAP2602E-A-K9 and one AIR-CAP2602E-E-K9.
I purchased both on ebay. On my first attempt to configure the first (A) it was not possible to access the console port. I returned it back and now on my second purchase (E) which is in a very brand new condition I have the same problem with the console access. (My rollover cables are fully tested and functional). It seems that both are somehow configured to block access on console if not, my luck has abandoned me under the thought that both might have defective console ports.

On the other hand, according to
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/70278-lap-faq.html
Question: What restrictions are imposed on a Cisco IOS Software-based access point after conversion to lightweight mode?
Answer: APs that are converted to LWAPP provide a read-only console port.

What a read-only console port means? Is this the effect of the problem am I facing?

Problem Solved !!!

Although the same roll-over console cable is working fine with all my other Cisco devices it refuses to operate on any 2602x series access point. I use usb to serial converter.
It sounds crazy but it's true. When I switch to other PC and with a different RS-232 rollover cable I had access to my AP at once !!!

I've heard same problem from one more installer who suggested me to switch PC with a real RS-232 port on it.

Hello EvaldasOu,

your article its so good. i would like to add something.

in the tar -xtract it must have de : in the end.

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.100/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar flash:

otherwise it doenst work.

and i have experienced problems with windows 10 so ive used windows 7 to get the job done.

Thanks,

Paulo Herlander

m.rana.ku
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
Step by Step Process has been demonstrated How to of Convert Cisco Aironet 3600 Series Access Point from Lightweight to Autonomous version.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmZZ2BNGXQH1HPS3uIVnr7A?sub_confirmation=1

https://youtu.be/O2qNFVZ-KRQ

Requirements:
1.TFTPd64 Server
2.Cisco IOS Software AP3G2-K9W7-M for (C3600 Series AP)
3.The Cisco AP and the Laptop with TFTP server must be in same network.

According to my network setup
Lightweight AP BVI1 IP address is 192.168.1.4
Laptop's IP address where TFTP server is installed 192.168.1.7 [Default Router IP]

First disconnect the ethernet cable from the AP then Press the Mode button and Put back the ethernet cable to the AP and hold the Mode button Untill flash light turns to umber and Once the Lightweight AP goes to online then apply the following commands to convert it to Autonomous version:

set IP_ADDR 192.168.1.4 [According to my network setup]
set NETMASK 255.255.255.0 [According to my network setup]
set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.1.7 [According to my network setup]
tftp_init
ether_init
flash_init
tar -xtract tftp://192.168.1.7/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.153-3.JH.tar flash:
dir flash
set boot flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JH/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JH
set
boot

m.rana.ku
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
Step by Step Process has been demonstrated How to of Convert Cisco Aironet 3600 Series Access Point from Lightweight to Autonomous version.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmZZ2BNGXQH1HPS3uIVnr7A?sub_confirmation=1

https://youtu.be/O2qNFVZ-KRQ

Requirements:
1.TFTPd64 Server
2.Cisco IOS Software AP3G2-K9W7-M for (C3600 Series AP)
3.The Cisco AP and the Laptop with TFTP server must be in same network.

According to my network setup
Lightweight AP BVI1 IP address is 192.168.1.4
Laptop's IP address where TFTP server is installed 192.168.1.7 [Default Router IP]

First disconnect the ethernet cable from the AP then Press the Mode button and Put back the ethernet cable to the AP and hold the Mode button Untill flash light turns to umber and Once the Lightweight AP goes to online then apply the following commands to convert it to Autonomous version:

set IP_ADDR 192.168.1.4 [According to my network setup]
set NETMASK 255.255.255.0 [According to my network setup]
set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.1.7 [According to my network setup]
tftp_init
ether_init
flash_init
tar -xtract tftp://192.168.1.7/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.153-3.JH.tar flash:
dir flash
set boot flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JH/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JH
set
boot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: