cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert regular 2500WLC to HA SKU.

rraineri
Level 1
Level 1

From what software version can I convert a regular 2500 WLC to an HA SKU device using the following command: #configure redundancy unit secondary. ?

Or from the GUI following this route: Controller> General> HA SKU secondary unit> Enable/Disable.

I mean, which was the very first software version the supported this feature for the 2500?

12 Replies 12

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

AS per my knowledge u can not chnage normal WLC with licence to HA SKU mode.

But Yes. Starting 7.6, you can convert -HA those as SKU to primary via issuing the command "config redundancy unit primary" followed by adding licenses to this controller.

May be I am wrong

Regards

Sandeep,

You can make a WLC function as an HA sku as long as the WLC has a 50 AP license. This really is good for larger environments with 5508's or large capacity WLC's to save on cost of licensing.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Prima

Yes I agree with you that we need atleast 50 AP license that also with 5508 WLC, as 2500 series doent support AP SSO.

Regards

To clarify,

You can convert a licensed WLC if it is one of these types:

5508 Series Standalone controller with 50 AP license

WiSM-2 Wireless LAN controller

7500 Series Standalone controller

8500 Series Standalone controller

2504 Wireless LAN controller, Release 7.5

The 2504 does not require 50 licenses to be converted to H/A if one already exists in an environment and you would like to move to H/A.  This would be typical if you are needing to add licensing to the controller to support more APs.  H/A would be a better option as to not have to add licensing to both controllers.  No SSO, only N+1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That wouldn't really be beneficial. A non HA sku WLC to make is as an HA, you need a minimum of 50 AP license. Since the 2504 doesn't support AP SSO, I don't see a reason you would want to convert a licensed 2504 into an HA that can only do N+1, which you can do right now. So unless you have 51 access points or more, then it's not worth it because that WLC will need a 50 AP license.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Ok, so, doesn't matter the version you will always require a license for 50 APs, correct?

And here below, you will find attached an screen shot showing where you can go to enable a regular  2500 WLC to HA SKU.

I have a customer who is running the same version I am using, but he cannot see this option on his GUI.

HA-SKU config.png

Yes... to change a non HA SKU WLC to act like an HA SKU WLC, you need a minimum of 50 AP license.  Again, on a 2504, they are better off getting a WLC 2504 HA SKU if they have to purchase licensing that might cost more than the HA SKU WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

What code are you running and can you verify that your customer is running the same...maybe they need to reboot theirs as I'm running v7.6 and Ihave that feature showing on the 2504.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi, one of our customers recently bought a new 2504 WLC with 25 AP licenses and a few APs.
His old 2504 controller has only 10 AP licenses but now he has more than 10 APs. He wants to apply N+1 as the new controller will be the primary. Would it be a problem to convert the old controller as a secondary HA SKU unit and use it in a case of a failure of the primary?

It would only work for 90 days and then the AP's would drop off.

-Scott

-Scott

Interesting. So you have 50 license WLC 2504. Do the convert to HA command. And then you are ok ? I am just trying to understand how the licensing works in this schenario since after conversion the WLC is basically 0 AP license waiting to eat what is available when primary failes (who has the real no. of licenses)

I have a customer who accidentally bought 5 AP controller. He has another 25 AP controller and would like to be redundant. I am reluctant to tell him that he can recycle his 5 AP controller and buy another with the HA SKU....

It's an old thread, but still valid situation.

You can rehost 5 licenses from the old to the new 2504 as you only need 5 licenses for 2504 HA-SKU convertion.

After that, you will have 30AP licensed, with N+1 controller backup.

Guido

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card