Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Coverage issues...

I am setting up an outside network to be used mainly by handheld devices (Ipaq using the the PC card adapter). I am thinking of using the Aironet 350, but I need more range than 2000ft. So, I was thinking of using the Air-Ant4121 to extend the range, so my question is...does this sound like a reasonable solution? I am concerned that the antenna I have selected (which is the only one that appears to meet my needs as fara as range and being omni-directional) has to narrow of a beam (7 degrees). However, if my high school trigonometry is accurate (it's been a while), 7 degrees equates to 244ft beam height at 2000 ft.

2 REPLIES

Re: Coverage issues...

Do a site survey and plan on utilizing more than one AP.

Re: Coverage issues...

If you want everyone to get 11 Mbps access, then Yes, you are definitely going to have to use more than 1 AP, so the range isn't going to be an issue. You have to have clear Radio Line-of-Sight for the clients to access the network, so this will have to be a multiple AP solution (unless you want to build a 500 foot tower or this is going to be installed on flat, treeless plain or desert). Also, there is the issue of the clients being able to reach back to the AP. This is another reason for the need of multiple AP's (if only to act as repeaters to the root AP). Sending the signal out 5 miles is no good if the client can't reach back to the AP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content