cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CPE in WT27xx ISP Scenario

ecbanks
Level 1
Level 1

If I'm reading the product literature right, the only equipment you can put at the customer premise is a 2600 or 3600 with a WT-2755 multipoint subscriber network module to participate in a WT27xx WLAN. That's prohibitively expensive when you are trying to compete with a DSL or cable-modem provider. Am I right in thinking that the 2600/WT2755 is the only CPE option?<br><br>

I'm hoping for a CPE solution coming in at a much lower pricepoint so that broadband wireless could be used to reach residential/SOHO customers at a reasonable pricepoint. If a 2600 with a WT-2755 is the minimum CPE requirement, that ain't gonna fly.

Comments?<br><br>Am I missing other options?<br><br>

TIA - best regards.

2 Replies 2

bruiter
Level 1
Level 1

You're right in what you're reading. The good news is that Cisco is due to release a SOHO product called the UBR 950/951 late 3Q or early 4Q.

I was in San Jose in February and got to see the first of the product. Small, VOIP integrated and an initial ticket price under $1000.

There is also a residential CPE being designed by Toshiba and Pace with an estimated ticket price of $300. This is due out 2Q of 2002.

Our experience is telling us that most clients will absorb the sticker shock in a small to midsize business. The current CPE gear won't fly for a residential user unless you figure out a way to lease it to them or straight out supply it to them at no additional cost.

So, there are some upcoming options.

I have designed and assisted two new wireless isp's. it did become prohibitive to use cisco stuff at the cpe due to cost. we ended up using another manufacturer/vendor for this very reason.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card