Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cross floor roaming issue

Hi! We have cisco wireless network throught the whole 8-floor building on Cisco WLC 4402 and Cisco LAP-1242 AP. There are no coverage holes, but sometimes clients are flapping between two access points at different floors with serious loss in throughput. Is there any method to limit roaming between different floors in the building?

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You really should have an issue if coverage is good. You have only one wlc or multiple. Is roaming having an issues with APs on the same wlc or different.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all your design should take in consideration that coverage among floors be at minimum! you should always try to design the APs so signal from APs on same floor are stronger than APs signal in up/down floors.

You can use different SSID name for different floors. This will absolutely stop roaming among floors.

you can name them like: Floor1SSID, Floor2SSID...etc.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thanks for your reply!

We have only one WLC and coverage is full. Client could be far closer to the AP on the same floor, but anyway switch to another floor AP. May it be the reason because there are different amount assotiated clients on the APs on different floors?

SSID naming for each floor is very unconvinient solution for us, because we have PSK auth. I`ve turned on the global assign power levels and channels future on the WLC. we`ll see the results tomorrow.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post your show run-config?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is your deployment very congested that you've many APs than required. if you're using RRM it can be easily checked using the AP picked power levels, if the affected area got multiple neighbors with power levels *5 & above then you need to shut off couple of AP's radio or disable lower datarate.

The question I haven't seen asked, what type of clients are having this issues? Clients DICTATE roaming.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Sorry, the network is in production now and i can`t post config to the Internet for security reason. I can show only limited information without addresses and names.

Clients are different. There are Apple and MS Win devices. Both typed are having this issues.

The idea about limiting data rates is good! I will try it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card