Replies

Dead ap1231g-a-k9?

davidummel_2
Level 1
Level 1

This unit does not respond.

after "boot" the only prompt i get is;

ap:

if i type en or enable i cannot gain access, it responds with Unknown cmd: en.

here is a copy of what the boot looks like;

ap: Xmodem file system is available.

flashfs[0]: 17 files, 3 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 7741440

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 113664

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 7627776

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 10 seconds.

Reading cookie from flash parameter block...done.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0c:85:62:d1:60

Initializing ethernet port 0...

Reset ethernet port 0...

Reset done!

ethernet link up, 100 mbs, full-duplex

Ethernet port 0 initialized: link is up

The system is unable to boot automatically because there

are no bootable files to boot.

C1200 Boot Loader (C1200-BOOT-M) Version 12.2(8)JA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOF

TWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Compiled Wed 12-Feb-03 15:23 by hqluong

ap:

what can i do?

i cannot get to this unit via ethernet as well!

22 Replies 22

netmasque
Level 1
Level 1

At the command prompt "ap:", what do you see for:

dir flash:

this is what i get

ap: dir flash

unable to stat flash/: permission denied

ap:

thank you for your help in this matter

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi David,

i do not have the correct documentation here, but this sounds like corrupt flash filesystem.

try help or ? from the ap: prompt. Is there something like format or erase? So you can format the AP and try a recovery procedure.

best regards,

Frank

Thank you for your response!

'erase' is an unknown cmd: for this unit

'format' is good, but flash is an unknown filesystem.

Hi David,

how did you typed the command

- format flash

- format flash:

The filesystems in IOS have the colon at the end!

Use the second one.

On some devices the filesystem has to be initialized.

try

init flash:

Sorry, but i have forgotten to have a look on one of my APs today. Now within the next hour i go to bed. Its late now in germany.

;-)

Best regards,

Frank

thank you,

i will not be in the office until monday.

i will attempt what you say on that day.

thank you

this worked!

now i have a bare flash.

i just have to figure out how to load a new ios!

thank you

i have much reading to do!!

dang it!

same condition here!

i cannot get access to send the file to flash.

i get the same permission denied!

you have to use a tftp server to flash IOS

the command on the AP is:

archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:[[//location]/directory]/image-name

I make a folder called TFTP Root in my C drive when I do this so mine would look like

archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:C /TFTP Root / (whatever the name of the .tar file is).tar

thank you for the help.

unfortunatly i get a;

unknown cmd: archive

Ok here you go. This is where you get to use the mode button and you have to rename the tar file from . tar to . default

Read this from cisco. I think this will do it for you.

Reloading the Access Point Image

If the wireless device has a firmware failure, you must reload the image file using the Web browser interface or on 1100 and 1200 series access points, by pressing and holding the MODE button for around 30 seconds. You can use the browser interface if the wireless device firmware is still fully operational and you want to upgrade the firmware image. However, you can use the MODE button when the access point has a corrupt firmware image. On 350 series access points, you cannot use the MODE button to reload the image file, but you can use the CLI through a Telnet or console port connection.

Using the MODE button

You can use the MODE button on 1100 and 1200 series access points to reload the access point image file from an active Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server on your network or on a PC connected to the access point Ethernet port.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note You cannot use the mode button to reload the image file on 350 series access points. To reload the image file on 350 series access points, follow the instructions in the "Using the CLI" section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the wireless device experiences a firmware failure or a corrupt firmware image, indicated by three red LED indicators, you must reload the image from a connected TFTP server.

Note This process resets all configuration settings to factory defaults, including passwords, WEP keys, the wireless device IP address, and SSIDs.

Follow these steps to reload the access point image file:

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated. For additional information, refer to the "Obtaining the Access Point Image File" and "Obtaining TFTP Server Software" sections.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder. For example, if the image file is c1100-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point, rename the file to c1100-k9w7-tar.default.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

WOW!

im getting so close!

i have the computer set to 10.0.0.2

255.255.255.248 and it will not connect!

i have tryed several different subnet masks and it still will not connect.

i set the computer to obtain an ip automaticly, it connects, finds the file, then times out after less than a minute.

( i did restart the tftp with each change)

i think it will work if i have the correct settings (subnet mask)

i will continue to try until i hear from you again.

thank you so much for your assistance!

Hi David,

Just to add a note to all the great info you have received from John and the others(don't forget to give him a nice rating :) You are getting close here!

Did you try 255.255.255.0 ?

Rob

yes sir,

i did try that (as well as many others)

as soon as i release the button

it responds that it could not find the file or directory.

i have a tftp running with it pointing to the correct folder.

everything seems correct, it just does not seem to find the directory or file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card