Views
Helpful
Replies

Deauthentication due to Inactivity

tlchant
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am running VxWorks ver 12.02 in my 1200 and 350 I have several wireless clients (Compaq multiport, ActionTech USB and Cisco 350 PCI). In the Association table on the AP sometimes the AP deathenticates due to Inactivity. Is there anyway to never deauthenticate. Is this the fact the Power Save mode is enabled on the client. I need to be associated 100% of the time to the AP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Reply 1

ndoshi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

idle timeout is configured at

association --> advance page

You need to change this settings . By default it is 1800 sec which is 30 minutes .

Default Activity Timeout (seconds) Per Device Class

These settings determine the number of seconds the device continues to track

an inactive device depending on its class. A setting of 0 tells the device to track a

device indefinitely, no matter how long is inactive. A setting of 300 equals 5 minutes; 1800

equals 30 minutes; 28800 equals 8 hours.

If you want to know this feature, you check Entire Network or something on the association table menu. and then "Apply". you can see lots of AP and client and so on.

Cisco Aironet client timeout is around 30 second. if the client is roaming or power off,

AP will deauthenticate to client after 30 sec. this timeout value can't change and I think that

this is normal case. And Client station of the Association Table Advanced is different thing,

even though user change this value, aironet client timeout is not changed.

You can check it on the Station Details page that select MAC address on the association table,

near the bottom, there are two fields "Activity Timeout" and "Latest Activity". When "Latest Activity"

reaches "Activity Timeout", the station will be cleared.

Activity Timeout" can change by user, but cisco product can't be changed. For example, sometime,

you have seen non-cisco client( Generic 802.11device) or abnormal client (Unknown device) on the association table, and then select MAC address, you will see "Activity Timeout" value is different by setting on the "Association Table Advanced".The role of "Association Table Advanced" is for non-cisco product or some

other case.

You can adjust how long the access points tracks inactive devices on the Association Table Advanced page in the web-browser interface. Use the Default Activity Timeout settings to set a timeout for each device class.

Here's a link to the section that covers it in the AP software config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/accsspts/ap350scg/ap350ch3.htm#xtocid2894462

The Roaming and Load Balancing App note available at;

http://wwwin.cisco.com/comlob/eag/aironet/tm_download/roaming_appl_note.doc

Can we please make sure that under association -> advance setting there are bunch of inactivity timers , what are the values set on this ?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card