Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting old image files in case of insufficient space

justizz4all
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

will a lightweight access point delete "old" image files if it does not have sufficient space on the flash during controller upgrade?

Although logic tells me that the controller should handle the upgrade, I am wondering if I should manually remove old (unused) image files out of wireless devices. Considering a number of access points deployed within a corporate network of our customer, it would be overkill.

I started to be worried when I saw the access point downloading an image file without deleting the one which had been there before (during controller upgrade). There was a plenty of free space on the device, however.

Appreciate your help,

Vyacheslav

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you don't need to manually manage the file system on the AP.  The WLC will take care of it.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Steve,

thank you very much for your answer. I have another related question, however.

Supposing that there are 4 "old" (unused) image files on the flash, will the device remove all of them in order to accommodate space for a new image file or it will remove the oldest version, or just the first one it finds on the flash?

Thank you in advance,

Vyacheslav

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Steve points out this is handled by the WLC. However, you can position code on the APs and the WLC. You will notice if you hit WIRLESS and select one of the aps you will see primary and backup code.

Here is a blog post I did that talks about code on the AP and WLCs.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-cli-commands/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

yes, I had read that article before I posted my question to the forum. We do not pre-load image files to access points, therefore, there is no any backup image there.

Is there any way to find from the controller what is on the access point flash ("show flash:") without logging into the device directly? I haven't found how to do that. Not sure if this is possible, at all.

Thank you,

Vyacheslav

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: