Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP issues

I cannot get my Aironet to pull a DHCP address using VLANS. If I debug on the Aironet, I do not even see DHCP request packets. I was under the impression that it would pull this automatically. I have 3 VLANS on the Aironet, a Dot1Q trunk to my switch, 3 Vlan interfaces on the switch and then helper-addresses on the Vlan interfaces pointing to my DHCP server. If I use static addressing on my clients, I have full connectivity. What am I missing??

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: DHCP issues

If I can assume that you have a Access Point not a combo AP/Router I have had a similar issue.

I cannot understand, though, how the access point can utilise an IP helper command anyway. Forgive me if I am wrong, but the AP is a Layer 2 device (bridge) and therefore I can't see any way that it can get involved in DHCP (A layer 3 protocol). I notice that it is spoken about in the IOS notes, but I still don't understand how it works.

You are best making sure that you either have a DHCP server on each VLAN or configuring the IP Helper command on the VLAN interface of the router.

Views
Helpful
Replies