cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP lease for Guest Wireless network

t_flacy
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a "rule-of-thumb" for the lease of DHCP on a guest or general use wireless network. The standard user is expected to be relatively transient. Thanks in advance for the comments / help.

7 Replies 7

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

I think ther no such rule of thumbs in a wireless network but the networks that incorporate large numbers of mobile devices, such as laptops and wireless telephony devices, should be configured with shorter DHCP lease times (for example, one day) to prevent depletion of DHCP-managed subnet addresses. Mobile devices typically use IP addresses for short increments of time and then might not request a DHCP renewal or new address for a long period of time. Longer lease times will tie up these IP addresses and prevent them from being reassigned even when they are no longer being used.

I agree with Sam... there is no rule of thumb, but with guest users, I always keep it for around 8 hours.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

8? Your guests must be the all-day sort. I typically have guest network leases at 2 hours.

Yeah.... law firms, etc where they might even be there longer.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. That will help us while plan forward.

We have found that 8 hours works very well for us.

We see a lot more dhcp traffic now with all the iphones and other wifi-capable cellphones.

Hi Eric and crew :)

Is there a way to stop RIM (Blackberries) and iPhones from connecting to the guest network as they hog IP addresses?

I would like to do some mac filtering or sommat, but only for iphones, and rim, but not to stop apple ibooks etc etc

Many thx indeed,

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: