cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP problem with Aironet 350 PCI & PCMCIA NIC

pfurtado
Level 1
Level 1

I have an installation using an Aironet 350 AP with 4 Aironet 350 PCMCIA nics and 4 PCI nics. All but one of each type of card is fully functional. It is a Windows 2000 Server network with DHCP enabled. I have enabled a static WEP on the AP and copied the profile from one Aironet card to all the others (changing the NIC ID obviously). As I previously stated, 6 of the cards work fine, but 2 are not getting an IP. When I look at the association table, the cards are associated but the IP address appears as UNASSIGNED. I have attempted to swap out the cards in the individual machines with cards that we know are functional and this still does not fix the problem. All four notebooks as well as all four desktops are the identical systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Have you tried using the fully functional cards, on the machines, in which the non-functioning cards were installed ? This way we can eliminate any OS related issues.

Are the cards communicating with the AP, with an ip address , statically assigned ?

Have you tried removing the cards (nics) from the hardware and reinstall the drivers for the NIC?

Get back with us with the results.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

The fully functional cards still do not work. That was one of my first attempts. The cards that weren't originally function, magically work on the other workstations. This is leading me to believe it is a driver error.

The cards are associating with the AP, they are not receiving an IP address through DHCP. When I assign a static IP I still cannot ping any devices on the network.

I haven't done a full uninstall of devices & software but will be doing it today.

Since the fully functional cards are not working on the same machines, that definitely sounds like a driver error, than a hardware error with the nics. Try installing the non functional ones, on those machines, where the fully functional ones were working. If that works, hardware errors can be ruled out. I seriously doubt, driver problems, with the NIC, and therefore would suggest to reinstall the drivers.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I am using WEP with Open, TKIP, MIC on an AP 350 with PCM352 and was associating but the client was not receiving an IP address form the DHCP server. It turns out that I had the WEP keys reversed in the 4 fields. When I input the same key in field "1" on both the AP and the client, it started working.

j-mason
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue it sounds like you are having. I know that it is not a WEP Key issue, because I have the AP in our demo room and was able to get the 340 cards to work just fine with a Win 98 machine. I have completely remove everything assocated to that card and tried to re-install it with no luck. If you have found a issue please let me know. I have a posting out here also called Windows 2000 issue with 350 NIC.

The symptoms that both of you have described are a WEP key mismatch.

Ypu can get some strange results that appear as a WEP key mismatch if you have a mix of drivers/firmware/ACU

On the the working cards and the non working cards what are

ACU version (found under help --> about menu)

NDIS driver version ( found on the status screen)

Firmware version (found on the status screen)

If you upgrade any one part of the 3 software versions above it is recommended that you do all 3

David

t-peng
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade the BIOS of the Windows 2000 server can resolve the 'ip address UNASSIGNED' problem. This is a common issue between the BIOS and network card.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card