cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP with H-REAP

richdepas
Level 1
Level 1

Having difficulty getting DHCP to act as I expect. Have a pair of 4402 WLC's at corporate with many AP's connected (non-HREAP). All works as expected. Have a remote site with AP's setup in H-REAP...but wireless clients are getting addresses from our corporate office and not from their local DHCP pool. Believe they are getting this because the DHCP server is setup on the WLC.

The APs are setup for local switching. I only want them to send the control back for central management. We want to deploy the same WLANs to all the remote offices but end clients shoudl be receiving IP addresses from their local DHCP servers. It does work fine if the link is broken and the APs are working in standalone mode.

11 Replies 11

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Richard,

Welcome to the wireless forums. First, Im not in from of my WLCs. But I thought I would probe a few thoughts which may aid you in your resolve. First the WLAN needs to have HREAP enabled, as local switching. Which sounds like you did. Secondly, you need to enter the AP and under the GENERAL TAB you need to select AP mode "H-REAP". The AP will reboot, and you should be cooking with gas at that point!

If this helps in anyway, please kindly remember to rate post. Myself and other forum contributors really appreciate it !

Thank!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I have H-REAP working. The issue is that I get IP addresses assinged to my wireless clients from our corporate office when the AP is connected to the controller. If the link is broken, it works great and the clients get IP addresses from their local subnets. I just need to figure out how to get the local subnet IP's handed out when the AP is connected.

What code is your controller on?

How many HREAP APs do you have?

What model of controller and AP?

Can you post a show running-config?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

code is 6.0.182

I have 4 H-REAP AP configured but I am testing in a lab environment with just one before I ship them off to the remote office to be installed.

Controller is 4402 and AP is LAP-1142N

config is huge so I can't post it. We are running over 30 APs locally at the corporate office

note: you can do

show running-config no-ap

Richard,

Under the L3 interface for that VLAN, where are your ip helper address(es) point to?  If the AP is HREAP and the WLAN is locally switched, we should always send the traffic directly to the wire.  Then we follow normal L2/L3 rules for where we are going to send the DHCP requests.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Think what this comins down to is I can't create VLANs on my 1841 I am using in my lab to simulate my remote location. I am trying to change that over to an ASA 5505 to I can more closely simulate the 5510's they have at that site.

Have the ASA in place and have the vpn tunnel established between the two devices. Now I will see the AP connect to the controller across the tunnel but when I try to bring up the configuration from the controller, it errors out. I am still getting an IP address from the controller side. Have the port that the AP is plugged into setup as a switchport with trunk native vlan . Still no joy.

lmslattery
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same issue.

I want clients associating to my H-REAP APs to receive DHCP from DHCP servers on their local L2 network. However they seem to attempt DHCP against the DHCP server set on the interface of the Controller they are homed to.

Did you ever find a resolution for this ?

What took care of my issue was trunking the port the AP was connected to. In my case, I has Cisco gear on one site and HP gear on another so I had to get the syntax correct on each. Cisco wanted a truck and HP wanted the VLAN tagged. Then they would pick up DHCP from the local site and not the home site with the controllers.

Hope this helps.

I can confirm that with the latest code the need to have that AP on a trunked port is no longer present. I have tested non-trunked port (cheap non-managed switch) connected to the AP and in HREAP mode the IP address assigned to clients in range of that AP always comes from the DHCP which is on the same wire as that AP; no matter whether the AP is connected to HQ WLC or not. Also no special DHCP config on the local wire. The DHCP server is just present and the AP proxies the requests just fine. Not once did I see the client get an IP from the HQ DHCP which seems to have been the problem described above.

On the WLC side:  

AIR-CT2504-K9 running release 7.3 ED 

On the AP side: AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9  

Primary Software Version 7.3.112.0

IOS 15.2(2)JA1$

Mini IOS 7.3.1.73

This was always possible, but never really defined well. You only were required to use a trunk port if there were multiple VLAN's. If you wanted to place users on the same subnet as the AP itself, you could always you an access port for that. This is the same for H-REAP, FlexConnect and autonomous AP's in access point or bridge mode.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: