cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diffcult location for Wireless

jflessner1672
Level 1
Level 1

Hope someone here can help. I have a client that lives in a large home with an external mother in law building. AP is in this building. His wife uses the computer in the main house and consistently getting dropped connections. Originally they had a Dlink AP and extender and it dropped consistently. I was convinced by Cisco sales to purchase a 1240 AG for this location. Installed and configured for "range" and I still have to use the extender. Should it but set to throughput? Is there a suggested config for diffcult areas? Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

SHANNON WYATT
Level 1
Level 1

There realy isn't enough information to answer this, but you should probably look to the spectrum. Things like 2.4 Ghz phones could cause the drops. If you are close to the limits on the distance then this is more likely to be a problem.

I can describe the location a bit more. Is this information needed? The house and external building a separated by a court yard that spans about 150 feet. The house construction is metal beams and rock facing. About 10 inch in all. Thick oak doors and lots of dual pane windows.

I moved the AP router 5 feet closer to the house and it seems to be a bit better. I removed the Dlink extender as it seemed to be an added problem.

But the question remains. Should I adjust the AP for throughput or range for a difficult environment?

I also read that doing a channel search over the next several days may lock in a better channel than the initial search. Honestly they are located in the middle of the desert so I don't suspect they will be any channel interference.

You should forget trying to associate to that AP and purchase another one for the house with the computer in it.

Hi,

Your issue/situation sounds like you have a coverage issue. Likly she is on the edge of your cell. This is to be expected... To increase the cell size you can increase the power and ensure your supporting the lower transfer rates.... Drywall alone can be a pathloss of 3-4dB... which is half the sig strength! Let alone exterior walls..

You can look to the AP's CLI to easily check the SNR. Use the command 'show dot11 ass all'.

Im not a fan of the use of extenders or repeaters... ESP when crossing brands.

Well, configuring for Range makes more sense. As an alternative, try to configure for Throughput and see how it performs over a period of 2-3 days. Try to use Cisco card on the laptop, as they have great reception compared to some other client radios.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card