cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between HREAP and Local AP

ibm.alexl
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested to know if there is any difference between HREAP (centrally switched, centrally authenticated) with normal local AP.

As I can see all the traffic from the AP will still go through the controller to at the central site.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hybrid Remote Edge Access Point (H-REAP) is a wireless solution for branch office and remote office deployments. It enables customers to configure and control access points in a branch or remote office from the corporate office through a wide area network (WAN) link without deploying a controller in each office. The H-REAP access points can switch client data traffic locally and perform client authentication locally when the connection to the controller is lost. When connected to the controller, H-REAPs can also tunnel traffic back to the controller.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As I can see all the traffic from the AP will still go through the controller to at the central site.

One feature I like about H-REAP is how the AP's transform to semi-autonomous operation. When local APs connect to a sole WLC, the APs are very dependent on the WLC. With H-REAP APs, when the WLC goes down, the APs continue to operate normally until the APs reload/reboot.

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

If you run HREAP AP in centrally switched and centrally authenticated mode, I don't see any differences with a local AP.

Maybe, but turn off your WLC and see if you can still use your wireless using Local AP instead of H-REAP AP.

:)

adriansoh83
Level 1
Level 1

Major difference, HREAP terminates the data flow locally on the connecting switch while LOCAL AP terminates on the WLC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: