Views
Helpful
Replies

Different Regulatory Domain Access Point on same WLC

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am interesting if it is possible for different regulatory domain access points to work on same WLC ?

I have A and E regulatory domain access points, can they work on same WLC(5500 or 2500) at the same time ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Remember:

You can't upgrade the AP's country code!( can't update an AP for a different regulatory domain as this is set in hardware).

You would have to add the country code to the WLC.

You can configure multiple country code on wlc to support did regulatery domian AP but running multiple country codes in a single WLC is a bad idea. Only common channels will be allowed.  Power will also be curtailed to the most common one.

Any other question then let me know.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Regulatory domain should be same on AP and WLC for the radio network interface to come up.

If you have AP in -A- domain then u must set country code on WLC as USA(America.)

and If you have -E- domain on AP then u must set any europian country on wlc.

Regards

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Remember:

You can't upgrade the AP's country code!( can't update an AP for a different regulatory domain as this is set in hardware).

You would have to add the country code to the WLC.

You can configure multiple country code on wlc to support did regulatery domian AP but running multiple country codes in a single WLC is a bad idea. Only common channels will be allowed.  Power will also be curtailed to the most common one.

Any other question then let me know.

Regards

sandeepchoudhary21,

Thank you for helping,

I will ask one more question, I would like implement new High Availability feature of WLC 5500 or 2500(which is implemented with direct connection of WLCs with redundant ports)

At this time there are old WLC 5500 and 2500. 5500 was bought about 4 year go, and 2500 was bought about 2 years ago.

If I buy new 5500 and 2500 can I still implement HA with old WLCs?

Hi,

Main importenet thing is to have same firmware version wlc.

example:

If you have old 5508 and one new 5508, you can upgarde old wlc to the same firmaware as new 5508 have.

then you can easily implement HA.

For SSO:

The primary and standby controller both need to belong to the same  product family (for example, the5508) and be running the same software  version.

2504 only support N+1, SSO not supported .

The N+1 standby can be the same or a different model of wireless  LAN controller. For example, the primary can be a Cisco 5508, while the  N+1 standby is a Cisco 8510 Wireless Controller. Note that in such a  scenario you do not get the access point stateful failover  functionality.

check here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1130-ag-series/qa_c67-714540.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html

Regards

Hi, do you have any document that having multiple codes in one WLC? we have A, N, E and C in one controller

I don't know if there is a document but I know it works. I've done this on more than a few occasions .. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Document i meant for the "multiple counties bad for wlc"

Ive never come across one.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you satisfied with the answer then can you please mark this question as answered, it may help others.

Regards
Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card