Replies

Does it matter the way the 1130 access points are mounted

b_ferguson
Level 1
Level 1

Equipment:

3 1130 access points

WCS + Location appliance

Wireless works well through the facility. The location appliance is not accurate when locating clients. Due to the way the building is and the previous placement of the 1231s that we replaced, the 1130s are mounted against a wall and upside down. I have performed two RF calibrations, the 2nd one was a little better but not too much. The only thing that I can blame this on is the way the access points are mounted but I cannot find any documentation that will back this up. Has anyone else ran into this problem before or know if it matters how the 1130s are mounted.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chris,

The 1130 has omni-directional antennas. They radiate in a pattern roughly similar to a dipole antenna. So long as they aren't mounted on a wall, it should not matter.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

That's not quite right. The coverage is (very) approximately a hemisphere. Not much coverage behind the 1130 as it has a metal plate at the back. So the 1130 does not have the same coverage pattern as a 1200 with dipoles.

There is a coverage diagram at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

(near the bottom). Compare that with the dipole coverage pattern - they are different.

In the field, we have observed that the 1131AG access point can send usable signal up to the floor above when it is ceiling mounted (I cannot speak for wall mounted). This was observed in an installation with a concrete floors. Don't assume it is a perfect hemisphere, because it's not - as is shown in the elevation plane radiation pattern.

So... as always, a site survey will help characterize your environment.

- John

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card