Views
Helpful
Replies

Dot11Radio0 stuck in reset status after changing the station role

robert.huang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone.

I've got a AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 router. IOS has been upgraded to the latest version c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JED. Everything worked fine before I change the station role from root to repeater or workgroup bridge. Following is my configuration:

ap#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1224 bytes

!

version 12.3

no service pad

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname ap

!

enable secret 5 $1$KHHu$bN/odUmHdmb.0cwa57GYs1

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

no aaa new-model

dot11 syslog

!

dot11 ssid Lanyard

authentication open

!

!

!

username Cisco password 7 123A0C041104

!

bridge irb

!

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

ssid Lanyard

!

speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0

station-role root

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

bridge-group 1

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface BVI1

ip address 11.11.11.1 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

!

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag

ip radius source-interface BVI1

!

bridge 1 route ip

!

!

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

login local

line vty 5 15

login

!

end

ap#sh ip int bri

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

BVI1 11.11.11.1 YES NVRAM up up

Dot11Radio0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

FastEthernet0 unassigned YES NVRAM up down

ap#

Then I changed the station role

ap#conf t

ap(config)#int dot 0

ap(config-if)#station-role repeater

ap(config-if)#end

ap#sh ip int brie

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

BVI1 11.11.11.1 YES NVRAM down down

Dot11Radio0 unassigned YES NVRAM reset down

FastEthernet0 unassigned YES NVRAM up down

ap#

Interface Dot11Radio0 stuck in reset. No matter I reload or powercycle the AP, I still get the same reset status on Dot11Radio0.

Please help! Any input will be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In order to get either the repeater or the workgroup bridge functionality working, you would likely need to have a Cisco AP as root. This is because the repeater and workgroup-bridge functionalities require Cisco Aironet Information Element (IE), which requires a Cisco root AP. There is no standard for interoperability for these functionalities (not part of any 802.11 standards). You can always try to connect them, making sure that they are using the same authentication/encryption configuration. However, it is unlikely to work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JASON BOYERS
Level 5
Level 5

When an access point is configured to bridge or act as a repeater, it's interface will go into "reset" mode until it associates with the root. Can you post your root AP configuration?

Thank you for your reply.

My root AP is a DD-WRT home router. SSID is Lanyard with WPA2/AES encryption. Signal is excellent since it is only 10 feet away.

I know my AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 doesn't support WPA2, only supports WEP and WPA. Is that the reason it can't associates with the root? Do I need to configure authentication and encryption on the repeater?

In order to get either the repeater or the workgroup bridge functionality working, you would likely need to have a Cisco AP as root. This is because the repeater and workgroup-bridge functionalities require Cisco Aironet Information Element (IE), which requires a Cisco root AP. There is no standard for interoperability for these functionalities (not part of any 802.11 standards). You can always try to connect them, making sure that they are using the same authentication/encryption configuration. However, it is unlikely to work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card