Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DSSS and 33Mbps

hello:

i was reading through a cisco wireless presentation and found a slide that said that since dsss uses non-overlapping channels (3) you have a combined rate of 33Mbps (when using 802.11b) if you use 3 separate APs. "Total Bandwidth=33Mb!!!" it says. I see no way that this can happen. I understand i might be able to increase the number of users without having interference, but certainly not increase BW (speed in the cell).

Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe I took the text the wrong way or something.

Thanks,

carlos.

2 REPLIES

Re: DSSS and 33Mbps

If you put the 3 APs close to each other, the cell coverage will be roughly the same. And if you configure each one to use a different non-overlapping channel, there will be no interference between them. So, you'll get a combined rate in the cell of 33 Mbps (3 x 11 Mbps) to share between the clients of the 3 APs. Each client will communicate at no more than 11 Mbps, but you will be able to put 3 times the number of clients.

Think of it as using 3 hubs to serve the clients in an Ethernet wired environment. The total bandwidth could be seen as 30 Mbps. Just a little tricky ;-).

As I see it, the problem could arise with the association between the clients and the APs. You can configure one third of the clients to prefer AP#1, another third to prefer AP#2 and so on. It doesn't seem to be a good solution. Or, you can rely on the inherent load balancing mechanisms that makes a client, according to Cisco, select the best AP to associate with.

Has anyone deployed a scenario like this? Do the clients distribute evenly with respect to the APs? Or do they begin to disassociate and reassociate frequently?

Javier

Re: DSSS and 33Mbps

thanks, javier...it seems i got it right all along. really, i just wanted to know if i missed something or if this was more like...a trick (to paraphrase you).

no, this scenario i have never seen deployed.

c.

Views
Helpful
Replies