cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic VLAN assignment on AP

richardwatson
Level 1
Level 1

According to the documents I've read regarding dynamic VLAN assignment, a user can be assigned to any VLAN via RADIUS.

Does the AP have to have to the VLAN manually configured on the AP's Fast Ethernet?

Is there any form of VTP available to advertise active VLANs back to the switch so they don't have to be manually configured on the AP?

I guess what I'm after is the abilty to assign a user to a VLAN without ever having to manually configure each AP for that particular VLAN. Any ideas?

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

jazzzz
Level 1
Level 1

Yes the AP have to manually configured vith the VLAN.. Thats what i've been doing.. Will be quite tedious if you have lots of APs and VLAN to configure..

So far i don't think the current AP IOS able to do that..

Don't suppose you know what happens if you don't?

It seems strange that you can have whatever VLAN ID's you want on the Wireless side without having to configure a sub-interface but have to do it on the Ethernet trunk...its not like there is really a big decision on which port to forward the frames out of!

I didnt really get what you're trying to say. However just to share, below is part of my AP config. Both the wireless side and AP FE interface are configured with the same subinterface id. (VLAN 40 and 50).. This AP is then trunked to a switch which have VLAN 40 and 50....

======== Config on the Wireless side (IOS) ====

interface Dot11Radio0.40

encapsulation dot1Q 40 native

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

interface Dot11Radio0.50

encapsulation dot1Q 50

bridge-group 50

bridge-group 50 spanning-disabled

===========================================

======== Config of 2 VLAN on AP FE (IOS)====

interface FastEthernet0.40

encapsulation dot1Q 40 native

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 1

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface FastEthernet0.50

encapsulation dot1Q 50

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 50

no bridge-group 50 source-learning

bridge-group 50 spanning-disabled

================================

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card