cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EAP-FAST and Intel PROset Issues

apishko
Level 4
Level 4

I'm running into an issue where my client connects to a specific wlan using EAP-FAST as the EAP method and am using automatic PAC provisioning, initially everyting is working fine but the connection strength goes from excellent, to poor, then to network out of range and then it starts the authentication process all over again. I am using 1131 LWAPP access points which are registered to a 4402 WLC running code version 4.1.185. My client is using the PROset Intel card 2915 abg with driver version 9.0.4.37. I've tried this with multiple laptops with the same outcome. Also, I am using a Cisco ACS server running version 4.1 which is then querying AD2000 for username password authentication. I've been over the configuration a hundred times and everything looks good. I have to believe it is something with the Intel drivers. Has anyone ran into this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Verify that the users is actually authenticated. I have seen this issue when authentication fails. You can see the failure on the ACS or in the WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the reply, I've checked that as well, I can see a successful passed authentication within the ACS logs. I also get an ip address and for the time I'm connected I can ping devices on my network and then it just goes away.

plandobait
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using the PSP mode on the cards? (Power Save Polling). If so, try switching to CAM (Constantly Awake Mode) and see if that helps.

I have had similar issues with other devices that used a power saving mode. I could watch the signal bounce from excellent to poor to disconnects back to excellent...switching to CAM eliminated this issue.

Edited note:

Here is a link to Intel's site about the PSP issue:

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

One more edited note:

While troubleshooting this issue, I was using a Fluke EtherScope to monitor the RF signals. While the devices were using the Power Saving Mode, the Error Packet and Retry Packet rates were through the roof. As I switched each device to CAM those Error/Retry Packet rates declined - once all devices were on CAM then those packets were virtually eliminated.

macfizzle
Level 1
Level 1

The 2915 chipset has issues with fast switching, and from the issues that you are describing, that could be your cause.

I did run the 2915 chipset using both the Intel client and Cisco Secure Services Client at our EAP-FAST environment here without any issues (3 building / 4 floor campus).

Here is a link to the article about disabling ccxv4 on the 2915:

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-023093.htm

I believe that you can also disable Fast Switching fromt he Cisco Options button, but I might be wrong on that one....

Hope that helps!

-JT

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card