Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Experiences upgrading IOS APs to LWAPP?

Hey all, has anyone found the serial numbers of APs shipped before July 18, 2005, the date after which Manufacturer Installed Certs (MICs) were installed on the APs?

I have found upgrading APs without the MIC (via Self-Signed Certs -- SSCs) to be more problematic, sometimes failing in the Upgrade Tool. Has anyone tried using WLSE to perform the Firmware upgrade to the 12.3.7-JX, etc. LWAPP stub code?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp176272

"LWAPP secures the control communication between the access point and controller by means of a secure key distribution, requiring already provisioned X.509 certificates on both the access point and controller. Factory installed certificates are referenced by the term MIC, which is an acronym for Manufacturing Installed Certificate. Cisco Aironet access points shipped before July 18, 2005, do not have MIC, so these access points create a self-signed certificate when upgraded to operate in lightweight mode. Controllers are programmed to accept self-signed certificates for authentication of specific access points."

3 REPLIES

Re: Experiences upgrading IOS APs to LWAPP?

I also ran into a few problems upgrading 1200 series APs with B-radios. Once I upgraded the code to support the G-radios, it was easy to upgrade to LWAPP using the tool. The key is to make sure you are on the same subnet as your controllers. Once the AP has found the controller, you can use WCS to export the hash keys to other controllers if needed. If you need more details, please email.

Bronze

Thanks,

It turns out as long as we reset the APs to factory defaults the conversion works ok. I was hoping we could pre-ID these so we could try using WLSE to upgrade those with the MIC via the JX code download.

I have been able to port the SSCs to other controllers using the WCS. Have you tried the Config Groups feature to push controller templates to a new controller?

Haven't used the config group option yet. Will look into it, thanks. I do plan to use WLSE to push out code to the older APs prior to upgrading the b-radios. Then it becomes a manual process...yuk!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content