cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Experiencing 'Load Threshold Violated' alerts, and some Security alerts

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

The wireless environment has been growing quickly at the university campus I work at. From roughly 500 users a couple years ago to nearly 1000 today.

This is starting to cause issues. Clients are reporting that they can 'associate' but they are unable to browse to any website.

WCS (v4.2.128.0, WiSM is v4.2.207.0 on both controllers) is reporting several load threshold violations, which is to be expected with so many extra clients.

- What are the best steps to help resolve the issue?

- I have Aggressive Load Balancing turned on with a threshold of 12- should I increase the threshold?

- How do I set the actual 'load threshold' of the individual APs, if possible?

We don't have very many APs to deploy unfortunately, as our current campus-wide model is the 1010, which is EoS/EoL. At most we can deploy 1 or 2 in the busiest areas.

----

Also, I'm getting several critical security alerts reporting 'large NAV fields', 'broadcast floods' and 'NULL probe responses'.

I included this problem with my initial questions because I have a hunch that its a direct result of the load issues, but I may be wrong.

- Do these seem like a result of association issues due to load (ie, false alarms)?

- If they are actual attacks, what's the best course of action?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

Well after a week of no responses I realized why that may be the case. I thought I put this in the Security section of wireless but apparently not.

I'll repost there. Please ignore this one!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card