cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ExtendAir r5005 range

laake9999
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at setting up some outdoor point-to-point connections that range between 7.5 miles and 8.5 miles, and not sure if ExtendAir r5005 can meet the requirements for the range, to extend data between Cisco switches that will be extend LAN services to some remote branches. I've received some feedback from some vendors selling this product that this product might not be the best option, as Exalt has other outdoor Microwave radios that might be a better fit for longer distances. They said this product really can only support up to 12km/7.45 miles, but the documention I read about this product provided ranges that were longer than that. Perhaps they were being on the safe side.

Per their documentation, listed below are the upper range limits listed for 13 Mbps speeds.

99.95% availability

8/10 MHz Channel (18.6 mi / 29.8 km @ 13 Mbps

16/20 MHz Channel (13.5 mi / 21.7 km @ 13 Mbps

32/40 MHz Channel (8.5 mi / 21.7 km @ 13 Mbps

My question is, has anyone use this product for a point-to-point bridge in the range of the distance I"m looking at or higher? I was originially looking at using some Cisco 1552EU APs (after I scrapped the idea of using the 1552E AP's, "no dedicated 5-GHz band ports"), with some Cisco Parabolic dish antennas (5.8 GHz 28 dBi, AIR-ANT58G28SDA-N), but now weighing some other alternatives. Has anyone used any of Exalt's other newer line microwave radios that might be a better fit for this requirement, that can interface with Cisco Switches?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have used their products, but not in the range you are using it for.  May of these companies have a calculator to determine the link and the clearance you need in order to achieve a link connections.  Going that distance, you would need a tower and must have goo clear line of sight, but again, take a look at their posted calculator, because the actual throughput at that distance might or might not meet your requirements.  The r5005 is 10/100 and can interface with many switches.  I have also used the Proxim, Motorola PTP and the Bridgewave, which does have a gigabit full-duplex bridge.

Make sure that you have clear line of sight and that you have enough clearance from the ground, buildings, and or tree lines.

http://www.wirelessconnections.net/calcs/FresnelZone.asp

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I would recommend the ExtendAir r5050 eMIMO and it has the option to cconfigure Link Distance from 1.6Km/1mile - 120Km/74.6miles. The Cisco 1552 is suited for Mesh deployments, though it can be converted to a Bridge unit. You can take a look at the Cisco 1530, which is specifically designed for PTP and PTMP.

Cheers

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have used their products, but not in the range you are using it for.  May of these companies have a calculator to determine the link and the clearance you need in order to achieve a link connections.  Going that distance, you would need a tower and must have goo clear line of sight, but again, take a look at their posted calculator, because the actual throughput at that distance might or might not meet your requirements.  The r5005 is 10/100 and can interface with many switches.  I have also used the Proxim, Motorola PTP and the Bridgewave, which does have a gigabit full-duplex bridge.

Make sure that you have clear line of sight and that you have enough clearance from the ground, buildings, and or tree lines.

http://www.wirelessconnections.net/calcs/FresnelZone.asp

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

can i send internet connection using Exalt r5005?

These Exalt bridges are bridges. You can pass any traffic you want, just depend how your bridges are configured and the ports the bridges are connected to.
-Scott

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I would recommend the ExtendAir r5050 eMIMO and it has the option to cconfigure Link Distance from 1.6Km/1mile - 120Km/74.6miles. The Cisco 1552 is suited for Mesh deployments, though it can be converted to a Bridge unit. You can take a look at the Cisco 1530, which is specifically designed for PTP and PTMP.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card