cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed Software Upgrade

Mike Lydick
Level 1
Level 1

Have a customer that reports a 4402 controller that has no console access after a software upgrade from 4.2.99 to 4.2.176.

They report they thought 4.2.176 went in ok but failed to read the configuration.

So they loaded 4.2.112.0 ER.aes.

The controller powers up but no console access. Service port interface lights up but does not lease an address in DHCP.

From the look of the hyperterm log (before console was lost) both the primary and secondary were loaded with the same image version. But this failed it also appears the tftp load failed.

Is the controller bricked at this point?

5 Replies 5

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

are you using tftpd32 or similar as your tftp server - the newer wlc software revs are greater than 32MB. had a similar problem to you until i started using tftpd32 as my tftp server - see url:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/68835/wlc_upgrade.pdf

Like Andrew mentioned, either use tftf32 or 3CDeamon which I use. Don't think it's bricked.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, for the responses. I agree on the TFTP failing from server. But they rebooted the controller a few times with no console response. No DHCP lease on the service port. So is there a break sequence or something when the console does not come up?

There is no post at all on boot

Is there a dhcp scope setup for the vlan/subnet the service port connects to? Can't explain the lack of console access though. The service port interface can't be assigned a gateway so if you can get it to pick up an IP through DHCP, you should be able to access it from the same subnet.

hth

Open a TAC case is my suggestion. They might have a work around for the corrupted image on the wlc. Upgrading the code should be done on the backup and not the primary image for emergency cases like yours.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: