Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect and WAN

IT Services
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning!

I was wondering if there was any recommendation around being able to make our Flex AP's stay more reliably connected to the controller when in flex mode.

It seems that any of our FLEX AP's lose association often throughout the day. We have 2 controllers in our environment and any Flex AP's on each controller will lose association causing Central Auth events to switch to local auth.

The only Flex AP's that do not exhibit this behavior are the flex AP's connected to our low latency point to point link.

5 Replies 5

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

Make sure you are shaping your traffic to the WAN link speed on both sides.

Then, put capwap traffic in a queue so that it wont be dropped and that will help with the disconnects.

Also make sure that the fast heartbeat for flexconnect is not enabled.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Yeah i dont think were going to do that with our QoS deployment.

I fully understand why we would use flex connect, I am just trying to find an explanation for my boss as to why the Flex AP's over the internet based WAN links reassociate throughout the day.

I guess there is not real issue other than if we were to use Central Authentication and\or Central Switching.

During Central Authentication when a unit goes to standalone it performs a full reauthentication. During the full reauthentication will a user experience any noticable outages or performance degradation?

Yes, a station could see an impact. Especially if it hiccups during the reauthentication. But this really only applies tocentral EAP. Are you using EAP or PSK ? If you are using PSK, they keys live on the AP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

J +5

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The primary and secondary controllers in the network must have the same set of primary and backup images.

If you configured a FlexConnect group, all access points in that group must be within the same subnet or must be accessible through NAT.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card