Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect with 3850 switch as MA and 5508 WLC as MC

Scott McAndrew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We're currently trying to set up FlexConnect for APs sitting off a 3850 in the remote office. The MC in this case is a 5508 WLC sitting in one of our main sites.

It's a simple question I have, where on earth is the Cisco documentation describing how to configure FlexConnect between these two devices? There is absolutely nothing specific to this scenario.

I've seen the MA config guide here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/mobility/configuration_guide/b_mobility_3se_3850_cg/b_mobility_32se_3850_cg_chapter_01000.html#d5123e1395a1635

I've also found this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/98646/wireless-lan-flexconnect-configuration-example

These have been configured yet the APs never appear in the WLC.

Is there actually any official documentation for 3850 FlexConnect?

Thanks!

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When using converged access not your typicall AireOS, there is no longer a FlexConnect design. The use of the 3850 or even having a 5760, is to terminate the traffic at the 3850 access layer and not have to tunnel traffic back. If your not terminating traffic to the 3850, then your basically centrally switching. If you have a 5508, I suggest you think about changing that to the default mobility and not use the new mobility if you want FlecConnect. AireOS isn't going away and you have to look at which one will work for you. Many of my customer still use AirOS as it has many or all the features they need. Converged access is very new and doesn't have all the features that AireOS currently has.  We have had clients go from converged back to AireOS and not many converged access install.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When using converged access not your typicall AireOS, there is no longer a FlexConnect design. The use of the 3850 or even having a 5760, is to terminate the traffic at the 3850 access layer and not have to tunnel traffic back. If your not terminating traffic to the 3850, then your basically centrally switching. If you have a 5508, I suggest you think about changing that to the default mobility and not use the new mobility if you want FlecConnect. AireOS isn't going away and you have to look at which one will work for you. Many of my customer still use AirOS as it has many or all the features they need. Converged access is very new and doesn't have all the features that AireOS currently has.  We have had clients go from converged back to AireOS and not many converged access install.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

As Scott F mentioned below, FlexConnect is an unsupported feature in the Converged Access deployment model. See the table 2 of the below document for detail.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/5760_deploy/CT5760_Controller_Deployment_Guide/Supported_Features.html

Yes, Autonomous, Centralized, FlexConnect, Converged Access are 4 different design options & you have to choose what is best fit for your requirement.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

MUQ_1899_
Level 1
Level 1

Why should we use this converged access? What is the advantage over Centralized WLC and FlexConnect APs?

Converged Access is another deployment model Cisco supports (Like Centralized, FlexConnect,etc). If you are using 3850/3650 as your access layer switches, then you can utilize this converged access model where you do not want to buy dedicated WLCs (like centralized).

In converged access model, your wired & wireless traffic terminate on your access switch and you can treat wired/wireless traffic equally from that point on.

But keep in mind this is distributed design compare to centralized model, so troubleshooting/operations is bit complicated. So you have to understand this well prior to deploying & then end up with too difficult to manage.

Feature wise, you will not get exactly 1:1 with centralized WLCs (AireOS), so go through your requirement & see if that can meet by a converged access design. Also note that converged access does not support FlexConnect mode APs and you have to directly connect APs to a 3850/3650 switch.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

But is there any benefit at all except that you dont have to buy a separate WLC? In the end of the day with FlexConnect you'll have the same result, right?

No such significant benefits you achieve via converged access. 

It differs to FlexConnect in this way.

In FlexConnect still control traffic has to go to a WLC (at a central place) who decide how traffic should behave. Without that WLC, AP cannot cache all the information it require & constantly rely on WLC for WiFi operation (there is high availability features in case of a WLC failure, but that does not mean AP can operates without that central WLC)

In Converged Access, that functionality (WLC) resides on access switch where your AP connects. So in case of branch network, that branch wireless can operate independent to any other controller requirement.

Deployment option wise, If you have large number of branches, where these branches does not have 3850/3650 as standard access swithes, then FlexConnet is the way to go.

But if you have a green field branch deployment (with few branches) where 3850/3650 will be standard access switch, I would analyze & see whether CA could fit in that situation.

See below CiscoLive presentation for more about CA design options

BRKEWN-2022: Converged Access Mobility Design & Feature Update

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card