Views
Helpful
Replies

G to A traffic

n.manlangit
Level 1
Level 1

hello experts!!!

can traffic pass through 11g to 11a and vice versa. please have a look at the attached drawing and see if any of you can share any practical solution.

the idea was to use the APs as repeaters on the three trucks and not to use bridges at all.

i don't have the supposed type of AP so I can not physically confirmed this kind of setup.

thanks very much....

3 Replies 3

n.manlangit
Level 1
Level 1

is this setup even possible?

btw, the trucks will be mobile all together, most of the time, and all four trucks will be within the range of not more than 300m.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like a nice plan. One thing I would suggest in that, is to use the G radio for client connectivity, and use the A radio for the brdige connection. Mostly due to the fact that the A radio in a laptop will be a bigger draw on the battery. If this is not a concern, then whatever actually tests best for you.

You should be able to do this. You would set an infrastructure SSID on the bridge side to get the non-root bridges, to join to the root bridge, then on the other radio, have a "normal" SSID, that the clients associate to.

Now for 300M, you would probably be better suited to use the G radio, since the A radio has a lesser distance, but if you push the transmit power to the max on that radio, you might cover at that distance. Also if you use the A radio as the backhaul, you are less likely to get interferance on it.

Just my 2cents.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

hi steprodr!

thanks for your reply. it will try this. i really need to get my hands on the AP with tour suggestion. i would like to try G for the outdoor and A for the indoor.

however, if i set the role of the APs to bridge modes (1 root and the rest non-root), would the .11a clients be able to associate? i remember having the option 'non-root with clients" back in the 350s, will this option suffice it? is this option still available with the 1200s? i have here with me now a 1300 and this option is NOT available. can a client placed in between point-to-point devices (either 1200 or a 1300) associate?

thanks for your time....:)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card