Views
Helpful
Replies

Good AP for hallways

Shawn Purdy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Got a design question here. For hallways with offices on each side of the corridor, or hallways with corners, which AP do you like best? Internal or external? If external, which antenna have you had the best success with?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Totally depends on what you are looking to do.  Any of the AP designed and deployed properly will work.

now, I don't really go with putting AP in the hallway, clear lines like that will serisously drop your tx power.

For indoor, there is almost no need to go with external antenna models of AP.

So do/get a site survey, to determine the best places to mount the AP for your office space.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have and the standard internal ap works fine. However I was reading some Cisco docs that suggested uses an external antenna ap. Just wanted to see what others thought

all depends.  mostly I see that people put 2.2dBi rubberducks on an AP...no different than internal at that point.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Gotcha. I figured that was the case.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Totally depends on your deployment. If you looking for more gain and cover to more distance then go for external one other wise Internal will work fine.

Shawn,

I dont think we are addressing other issues you might have with a hallway design. Let me share a few items.

1. If you plan on just data with a few users per ap you will be fine with either, but you really should do a survey and map the coverage.

2. If you plan on voice or heavy data and video hallway is not the way to go regarless of antenna. You need to place aps in the rooms.

3. If you do a hallway deisgn, note RRM may not work for you. APs will see each. Your CSMA will be jacked up as well.

Let me share with you 2 pics. Same ap, same area .. you will see the RF for yourself.

If any of this is helpful please support the rating system.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George,

Your two pictures paint a good picture of the problem.  Placing the AP in the Hallway itself does not provide good coverage for the offices along the corridor.  With offices on both sides what have you done in some of your designs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card