cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Got the AIR-RM3000AC-E-K9 for my Cisco Aironet 3602i - the AP doesn't recognise the module :(

gilad.hinberger
Level 1
Level 1

Seems like I need the latest IOS version (Autonomous - 15.2.4-JA1) in order for the AP to even recognise the module...

Of course, it's not written anywhere on Cisco site, and I don't have access to download the IOS, so I'm stuck

Can someone help?

24 Replies 24

gilad.hinberger
Level 1
Level 1

Seems like I'm talking to myself here, but anyway:

Got the updated IOS file, and now the AP recognise the module.

I've configured the new dot11 interface, and assigned a (new) SSID.

However, my Linksys WUMC710 802.11ac Ethernet bridge dosn't see the AP...

Also, I understand that the module supposed to be backward compatible with 802.11a and 802.11n,

But non of my wireless clients can see it.

Any ideas?

The module isn't supported in autonomous mode. It is only supported with a wlc. Unless this has changed recently ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Well, the hardware is rocognised correctly, the dot11 interface is up, and I can configure the interface and assign SSID.

The configuration is almost identical to the other 5GHz interface, except the 80Hz option.

So, it doe's looks like the module is supported in the latest autonomous IOS version (15.2.4-JA1).

Not supported in autonomous like George mentioned. Here is the 802.11ac deployment guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/3600/module_install/3600_AC_module.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Is "not supported" means "not working"?...

That is correct!

-Scott

I find it very strange that the hardware is recognise correctly (with the latest autonomous IOS version),

The interface is up and running, all the configuration options exist in the CLI under the under the interface,

(plus special options for 802.11ac), and yet it will not work because "it's not supported". Also, they didn't

Say in the deployment guide clearly that autonomous mode is not supported, they just listing the different

Versions of the wireless controllers that support this module.

I don't have a laptop that support 802.11ac, so I can't fully test it now, but I'm getting 802.11ac USB dongle

Tomorrow, so maybe I'll an update.

Could be nice to get an official answer from Cisco, but seems like they don't monitor this forum...

Could be nice to get an official answer from Cisco, but seems like they don't monitor this forum.

Read George's post and believe what he says.  He is one of the few non-Cisco who TESTED the 802.11ac module.

If you really want to get a definitive answer and you don't trust George's response, you're more welcome to create a TAC Case.  Who knows, maybe the TAC engineer might just contact George just to get his opinion.

Youre silly Leo .. LOL

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

I didn't say I don't trust George's answer, I'm just saying it's strange. And anyway, I'm sure George tested the

Module with the Aironet 3600i lightweight mode, connected to a wireless controller. It doesn't necessarily means

That it can't work in autonomous mode...

Anyway, I have only one device that I can use to test 802.11ac, and that's the Linksys WUMC710. This ethernet

bridge can't even see the 3602i in 802.11n mode, unless I sent the interface manually to channel 36... So I don't

Really trust this device. As I said, I'm supposed to get the 802.11ac USB dongle tomorrow, and I'll post an update.

That it can't work in autonomous mode

Currently, and I mean the word literally, no one has made feature requests to Cisco to enable autonomous IOS operate the 802.11ac module.

I have no idea how complicated this is going to be but if you could try to ring up your Cisco wireless SE and get them to raise a Product Enhancement Request (PER).

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Even with a PER, it will never happen. There are features specific that requires a WLC. Just because its recognized doesn't mean it will work. Look at the guide I posted, as it tell you the requirements and one is the use if a WLC running v7.5.

-Scott

Even with a PER, it will never happen.

He's I said "I have no idea how complicated this is going to be".  But he can try. 

Yeah.... I guess there is no hurt in trying.... To actually put it in and have it avaialbe... might take a year or so:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card