Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Got the AIR-RM3000AC-E-K9 for my Cisco Aironet 3602i - the AP doesn't recognise the module :(

Seems like I need the latest IOS version (Autonomous - 15.2.4-JA1) in order for the AP to even recognise the module...

Of course, it's not written anywhere on Cisco site, and I don't have access to download the IOS, so I'm stuck :(

Can someone help?

18 REPLIES

Got the AIR-RM3000AC-E-K9 for my Cisco Aironet 3602i - the AP do

Seems like I'm talking to myself here, but anyway:

Got the updated IOS file, and now the AP recognise the module.

I've configured the new dot11 interface, and assigned a (new) SSID.

However, my Linksys WUMC710 802.11ac Ethernet bridge dosn't see the AP...

Also, I understand that the module supposed to be backward compatible with 802.11a and 802.11n,

But non of my wireless clients can see it.

Any ideas?

Re: Got the AIR-RM3000AC-E-K9 for my Cisco Aironet 3602i - the A

The module isn't supported in autonomous mode. It is only supported with a wlc. Unless this has changed recently ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Well, the hardware is rocognised correctly, the dot11 interface is up, and I can configure the interface and assign SSID.

The configuration is almost identical to the other 5GHz interface, except the 80Hz option.

So, it doe's looks like the module is supported in the latest autonomous IOS version (15.2.4-JA1).

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Not supported in autonomous like George mentioned. Here is the 802.11ac deployment guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/3600/module_install/3600_AC_module.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Is "not supported" means "not working"?...

That is correct!

-Scott

I find it very strange that the hardware is recognise correctly (with the latest autonomous IOS version),

The interface is up and running, all the configuration options exist in the CLI under the under the interface,

(plus special options for 802.11ac), and yet it will not work because "it's not supported". Also, they didn't

Say in the deployment guide clearly that autonomous mode is not supported, they just listing the different

Versions of the wireless controllers that support this module.

I don't have a laptop that support 802.11ac, so I can't fully test it now, but I'm getting 802.11ac USB dongle

Tomorrow, so maybe I'll an update.

Could be nice to get an official answer from Cisco, but seems like they don't monitor this forum...

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Could be nice to get an official answer from Cisco, but seems like they don't monitor this forum.

Read George's post and believe what he says.  He is one of the few non-Cisco who TESTED the 802.11ac module.

If you really want to get a definitive answer and you don't trust George's response, you're more welcome to create a TAC Case.  Who knows, maybe the TAC engineer might just contact George just to get his opinion.

Youre silly Leo .. LOL

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

I didn't say I don't trust George's answer, I'm just saying it's strange. And anyway, I'm sure George tested the

Module with the Aironet 3600i lightweight mode, connected to a wireless controller. It doesn't necessarily means

That it can't work in autonomous mode...

Anyway, I have only one device that I can use to test 802.11ac, and that's the Linksys WUMC710. This ethernet

bridge can't even see the 3602i in 802.11n mode, unless I sent the interface manually to channel 36... So I don't

Really trust this device. As I said, I'm supposed to get the 802.11ac USB dongle tomorrow, and I'll post an update.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

That it can't work in autonomous mode

Currently, and I mean the word literally, no one has made feature requests to Cisco to enable autonomous IOS operate the 802.11ac module.

I have no idea how complicated this is going to be but if you could try to ring up your Cisco wireless SE and get them to raise a Product Enhancement Request (PER).

Even with a PER, it will never happen. There are features specific that requires a WLC. Just because its recognized doesn't mean it will work. Look at the guide I posted, as it tell you the requirements and one is the use if a WLC running v7.5.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Even with a PER, it will never happen.

He's I said "I have no idea how complicated this is going to be".  But he can try. 

Yeah.... I guess there is no hurt in trying.... To actually put it in and have it avaialbe... might take a year or so:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Well Scott, you were right

The hardware recognized correctly, but that's all. Settings are missing for the interface, and I can't see the SSID.

I tired of waiting for Cisco to have a finish 802.11ac product, so looks like I'll buy the Asus RT-AC66U.

Used to have only Cisco in my home network, but the switches are too expensive now...

The ASA 5505 already replaced with Juniper SRX210HE, because I needed gigabit interfaces (and even the Juniper

Just got replaced by the Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite, which is less noisy - passive cooling).

Thanks for your help!

Yeah well it does depend on how much you want to spend. I lab a lot of stuff and that why I have a 2504 WLC which allows me to use the 3600 and the AC module for testing. I don't really use AC other than for testing because my Apple TVs, iPhone, iPads, macair and MacBook Pro doesn't support 802.11ac natively.

-Scott

I still can't believe that as

I still can't believe that as of today, the latest release (15.3.3-JBB6) STILL doesn't support this module out of the box in Autonomous mode.

H

H

This is my first post on here.

I am currently in the middle of my final year project at uni and I have spent the last week trying to figure out why clients will not associate and authenticate to the 802.11ac radio interface. I have got a autonomous 3602i with the AC module and all my tests have been fine so far but as soon as I configure security on the AC interface I cannot get any client to associate and authenticate.  I've tried Win7 clients and Android to try to eliminate OS involvement. I've tried another AP and AC module to try to eliminate hardware failure. Seems like I have tried in vain. Using the AC interface without any security worked fine if that helps anyone. Any further information that anyone can give on this would help me greatly with my project as i will not be able to complete the testing that I have set out to do. Thank you 

Views
Helpful
Replies