Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Parameter for Web Authentication

damiangoh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Forum,

Just to find out a little more detail in regards to the guest account created for web authentication using Ambassador account.

1) If the authenticated guest did not perform a proper logout, what action will the WLC take?

2) As such, is there any timeout involved?

Where can i tune the timeout?

Rdgs,

Kelvin

1 Reply 1

CFayNTAdmin83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I just wanted to add what I have found regarding WCS and the guest feature.

-There are two ways to configure a "local net user". The first is a static guest ID that has the "guest" flag off. This means that the client's session will not timeout. The second is to specify the "guest" user checkbox and give it a timeout value in seconds.

This should let you control how long a user is logged in.

From the WLC login, go to SECURITY --> LOCAL NET USERS --> then click on NEW. From there you can specify a user ID and also set that optional guest user box. If you click on the Guest User box then you will see a timeout field.

With my guest account set to not be a guest user (no timeout value), I have noticed the following.

1. If a guest gets disconnected, usually they will reassociate and still be able to log in.

2. If a guest has problems, I usually tell them to disable their wireless card, close all browser windows, and then reassociate to the network.

The steps above have worked well for my setup...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card