Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Has anyone deployed converged access with 3850 switches and 5760 WLCs?

Has anyone deployed a converged access network architecture with 3850 switches and 5760 WLCs? I have done lots of projects with the 5508 WLCs In a centralized deployment. Basically with this design, I manage 2 logical networks as the wireless network is an overlay over the wired network. I can design firewall to segregate traffic between the wired and wireless hence I can carry both staff and guest traffic.

Now Cisco is telling us that there is new design such that the dats plane traffic can be dropped locally through the 3850 switched. I am not sold on this and have not found any recommended best practices on when should we use a converged access architecture.

Pros
With converged access, data traffic is terminated at the MA which is on the switches, hence the WLC will not be a bottleneck? This is to prepare adoption for 802.11ac?
Less hops for voice calls from user A to user B as data control traffic is dropped locally.

Cons
Now how do I segregate guest and staff traffic if my security folks say I need a firewall?
Troubleshooting wireless client mobility will be a nightmare as the 3850 switches are MA.
Pushing and upgrading code for the Code will mean upgrading the stack of switches in the LAN riser. This will be painful in a huge campus environment like an university.

Can someone convince me why would a customer choose converged access?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Has anyone deployed converged access with 3850 switches and

They choose CA because of the capwap termination at the switch. You can still use a 5508 and tunnel guest to a DMZ segment if you wish. You will need a 5508 though is you want to tunnel traffic to an anchor WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content