cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Upgrading IOS on 1200 AP Using CLI & TFTP

sabrautigam
Level 1
Level 1

I am not to familiar using TFTP to upgrade the IOS on the Aironet access points as I have always done it via the GUI. I have Solarwinds running with my IOS in the root dir and the AP connected via console cable. Everytime I attempt to upgrade via the CLI I am getting a time out error message while nothing shows up in the log. Below is the command I am issuing along with the error message I get. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

ap#archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://10.10.10.8/c:/TFTP-Root/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar

examining image...

%Error opening tftp://10.10.10.8/c:/TFTP-Root/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar (Timed

out)

ERROR: Failed to open archive file tftp://10.10.10.8/c:/TFTP-Root/c1200-k9w7-tar

.123-8.JA.tar

8 Replies 8

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you designate the root directory in SolarWinds, you shouldn't specify the directory path in the tftp statement.

So, in SolarWinds, if you have already pointed to /TFTP-Root as your directory, you would then request tftp://10.10.10.8/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar

Good Luck

Scott

Scott, thanks for replying. I tried what you recommended and I received the same time out error. It is rather late here so I will be back to the drawing board tomorrow. I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks again.

Steve

You have to ensure the case of the filename. It is case sensitive and the root of the tftp server is not same as root in TFTP command in AP.

Hope this helps.

Jack,

I tried what you posted and I was able to make some progress. It actually showed up on the log but this time it gave me the error listed below. I checked windows firewall and disabled the firewall on my 871 router in the event I was blocked. Any suggestions?

%Error opening tftp://10.10.10.8/c:/tftp-root/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar (Permi

ssion denied)

ERROR: Failed to open archive file tftp://10.10.10.8/c:/tftp-root/c1200-k9w7-tar

.123-8.JA.tar

logfile error from solarwinds

8/17/2006 18:08 :TFTP Server Error: Invalid access to c:\tftp-root\c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar from 10.10.10.6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Follow the directions listed here.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1200/accsspts/b1238ja/1238jasc/s38trb.htm#wp1048378

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for your posts guys. I will give it a shot when I get back to the office this evening. I will post an update after my failure or success. Thanks again I appreciate all your help.

Please remove the C:/TFTP-root as mentioned by Scott and set the C:/TFTP-root as root in your TFTP server.

i.e.

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://10.10.10.8/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA.tar

It finally worked, thank you so much for all your help guys I really appreciate it. You have now created some work for me as I have to get about 20 of these units done by Monday morning :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: