cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

high number of %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES on AIR-AP1220

tpelley
Level 1
Level 1

I seem to be getting what I feel are an abnormal amount of %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES warning messages off of these AP's Running IOS 12.3(2)JA2.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing packets to meet MAXRETRIES on my clients.

I have heard that in a mixed b/g environment where the access points only have b radios and the clients have b/g cards, there can sometimes be issues with negotiating connection speed, could this be the cause?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

The AP attempts to transmit data to a client and fails.. Attempts again, fails and continues to do so until it reaches the defined 'max retries'.

You can view what yours is set to via the gui on the ap, and clicking on 'Network Interfaces' then clicking on the apprioriate radio then clicking on the settings tab. Scroll all way to the bottem and you should see it.

Theres several possibile causes to this... Possible power mis-match.. High utilisation of the band your using... Noise.. etc etc.

Negotiating speed shouldnt be relavent to this issue at all to my knowledge.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

The AP attempts to transmit data to a client and fails.. Attempts again, fails and continues to do so until it reaches the defined 'max retries'.

You can view what yours is set to via the gui on the ap, and clicking on 'Network Interfaces' then clicking on the apprioriate radio then clicking on the settings tab. Scroll all way to the bottem and you should see it.

Theres several possibile causes to this... Possible power mis-match.. High utilisation of the band your using... Noise.. etc etc.

Negotiating speed shouldnt be relavent to this issue at all to my knowledge.

Yes, Noise would make sense in this environment as well as over utilization of the bandwidth. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card