Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Hot Standby with AP1240AG

Hello,

I have to configure an AP1242AG to working in a Hot Standby mode. The monitored AP is also an AP1242. However I am not using the Radio A interface so I disabled it but when the monitoring AP check the monitored AP, it detects the Radio A is down and so becomes active. Is it posssible to disable the monitoring of the Radio A ?

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Hot Standby with AP1240AG

Hi Georges,

Just a guess here, but perhaps you have the mac-address of the A radio entered on the Hot Standby? Check this out:

Access points using Cisco IOS software can be configured to support Hot Standby mode using the 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz radio interfaces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note If your access point supports only one radio interface, provide the MAC address for that interface only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iapp standby mac-address

Puts the access point into standby mode and specifies the MAC address of radio on the monitored access point.

Note When you configure a 1200 Series access point with two radios to monitor a 1200 Series access point with two radios, you must enter the MAC addresses of both the monitored 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz radios. Enter the 2.4-GHz radio MAC address first, followed by the 5-GHz radio MAC address

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804e7cf6.html#wp1037487

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

Community Member

Hi Rob,

Thank you for answering me.

Unfortunately, we must fill two mac adresses (one for the Radio G and one for the radio A) into the iapp standby "mac-address" command.

Georges.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Georges,

No worries! In your first post you mentioned that you are not using the A radio. I think that you should delete the mac assigned to the A radio and the Hot standby will work properly. It is monotoring the A radio because of the iapp stadby mac-address that you are assigning to the A radio.Just assign the mac for the G radio.

Boy that sounds confusing!

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts..............

Community Member

Hi Rob,

In the monitored AP, the Radio A is shutdown.

In the monitoring AP, the Radio A is shutdown too.

On the monitoring AP, when I type the command: iapp standby @MAC_Radio_G_of_monitored_AP then the system answers me: incomplete command because it is waiting for the second Mac address.

If you think I am wrong, can you send me the command you think good.

Thanks a lot,

Georges.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Georges,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have read a number of documents on this subject since my last post and have come to see that there are some differences depending on which doc you read.Here is the example:

Note: If your access point supports only one radio interface, provide the MAC address for that interface only.

From this older doc:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1200/accsspts/tool3ios/mt_c2.htm#wp1036865

iapp standby mac-address

Puts the access point into standby mode and specifies the MAC address of radio on the monitored access point.

Note When you configure a 1200 Series access point with two radios to monitor a 1200 Series access point with two radios, you must enter the MAC addresses of both the monitored 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz radios. Enter the 2.4-GHz radio MAC address first, followed by the 5-GHz radio MAC address.

From this newer doc for 12.3(7)JA:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804ed72a.html#wp1055446

I think I would go with the newer doc. Can you try entering the macs for both A and G radios, enabling the A radios but only setting the Data rates for the G radio. Maybe this would work. I'm at a loss for anything beyond this, and the documentation has left me with more questions than answers.

Hope this helps! Let me know how you make out.

Thanks Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content