Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Hotspot Internatl Roaming

I recently installed a 33 AP (AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9 Cisco IOS Software) setup in a hotel, interconnected with Cisco 500 24 POE switches (WS-CE500-24PC). and a Nomadix AG 3000.

The AP's a spread over 5 floors and 4 switches.

Everything is on a flat 10.10.0.X network Class C subnet mask.

The Nomadix is .1

User are DHCPed .2-102

Switches & AP at .103-133

Everything is connected and pingable.

AP's are setup for 3 channel channelization and there is good solid coverage throughout the building.

There is no crypto running on the AP's it's a basic sort of hotel hotspot.

A pretty basic setup nothing to complicated.

The Problem:

User can associate, received DHCP IP address, authenticate to the gateway (Nomadix) and get online. But if they roam to another AP they can no longer pass traffic.

Thoughts & Observations:

The Cisco 500 switches have a known roaming issue. The suggested fix

"

Each Smartport role has maximum number of MAC addresses, which can be associated with the port. For the access point Smartport role, the number is limited to 30. Change the Smartport role to Switch in order to resolve the roaming of wireless clients between the access points.

"

Made it impossible to administer the AP. With the Smartport in the switch role I was unable to SSH/HTTPS into the APs.

They Smartport are currently configured as AP's average user load does not exceed 30 users for the whole facility at any one time.

The AP alert log's say that the client is successfully roaming from AP to AP.

Final thoughts:

Roaming isn't that complicated. What might be going on? Has anyone seen this before?

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Hotspot Internatl Roaming

My wild guess is that for whatever reason, the client roams from one ap to the next it has to reauthenticate to the gateway server and is dropping the connection.

WDS takes care of that for roaming between subnets, but you are not doing that...so I am at a loss at the moment. I will look up some more info on Fast Secure Roaming which is supposed to work when you are on the same subnet, but I still do not understand why you have to reauthenticate when you roam...you should be cached somewhere and allowed to do that.

Views
Helpful
Replies