Views
Helpful
Replies

How many Coaxial Cable(s) per Directional Antenna

khan300
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering I have a Directional antenna (AIR-ANT2588P3M-N) for which i  need to connect to my AP (

AIR-CAP1552E-E-K9)

My question is How many Coaxial Cable (AIR-CAB005LL-N) should I use for my AP? 1 or 3 ? I think it should be 1 per Antenna but the below Cisco Doc confuses me which says i should use 3 ? Please help

Note Coaxial  cable loses efficiency as the frequency increases, resulting in signal  loss. The cable should be kept as short as possible, because cable  length also determines the amount of signal loss (the longer the run,  the greater the loss).

Cisco offers low-loss 5 ft. and 10 ft. coaxial cables, parts  AIR-CAB005LL-N and AIR-CAB010LL-N, respectively, for connection from the  antenna to the access point. These cables have one straight male type-N  connector and one right angle male type-N connector. To use all of the  ports on the AIR-ANT2588P3M-N three cables will be needed.

5 Replies 5

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

The AIR-ANT2588P3M-N is 3 antennas in one..  one antenna for each port of the 1552, so yes you need 3 coax feeds.

So i have 2 directional antennas,meaning ill need 6 Coax cables ? i.e ill need to purchase

AIR-CAB005LL-N x 6 ?

Remember, the LONGER the cable (connecting the AP to the antenna), the HIGHER the signal loss.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

That would be correct.  Since these are 11n devices, you would use one antenna on each port to support 3x3 streaming.

However, if you shut down 2 tx/rx ports and just used the system in 11a or 11g modes then only 1 cable would be needed on each 1554.  Leo does make a valid point, if you mount your 2588 above the 1554 on a pole the short coax feeds should be fine.  There is however, no magic in the cables that Cisco is providing.  I suspect they are just LM400 class items with N male crimp connectors..  Such combination should be available from many places..

khan300
Level 1
Level 1

So if I use 1 cable per Antenna, it will NOT work ?? I have to use 3 cables per antenna ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card