cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How Many WLANs on Your Controllers/APs?

becca1jane
Level 1
Level 1

Even though the controller will allow 16 WLAN's, have you seen traffic issues if there are more than "X" number of WLANs enabled on any AP?

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have seen issues when there are alot of ssid's being beaconed. The best practice is to keep it under 4 ssid's if possible. I have had clients configure up to around 7 and had no issues, but some who had 5-6 had issues, but was due to certain devices like handhelds, etc. Here is a link you can look over... I don't see any reason you would have to have that many in the first place.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a0080810880.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This is a hospital environment where multiple VLANs have been reserved and/or are in use for corporate/clinical/guest networks, voip, rfid. In addition, multiple wireless medical devices have been brought in, each specifying they must be on their own VLAN. I just found out about another new device that was purchased - and I'm sure there will be more to come.....

I understand, but vendors always tell you they want their stuff in its own subnet.... if you have to then I guess you have no choice, but ask them if there are issues with their equipment depending on how many ssid's are configured on the wlan. Most of the time you can place devices in certain groups with others.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

You could try using role based dynamic vlan assignment via your asc basedon AD roles

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: