cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Configure 3502e in Autonomous Mode (for a site survey)

moody
Level 1
Level 1

we purchased some 3502e's and I was told we could set them up as automous ap's to do a site survey.  however i haven't come across much online for instructions.  i saw one post that mentioned downloading code for another ap model - i think a 1260, but we don't have rights for such a download.

thanks.

11 Replies 11

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no autonmous code for the 3500s yet. If you call and open a tac case they might give you an allownace to download the 1260. But again, this is unsupported ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

UPDATE: George's original answer is correct. No autonomous code for 3500s yet. There is downloadable code on CCO listed as "IOS Software" but it is not autonomous.

Thanks George!

George,

IOS autonomous is available for the 3500s now.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283307702&flowid=16363&softwareid=280805680&release=12.4.23c-JA4&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Maybe you're thinking of the 3600?

Justin

ap3g1-k9w8-tar.124-23c.JA4.tar

That's not an autonomous IOS.  That's a "k8" or CAPWAP.

Leo,

k8 means mass market, unrestricted encryption in Cisco products (where k9 means restricted encryption). rcv in the image name is a CAPWAP/LWAPP recovery image designator. APs joined to and then imaged by a controller have image names that don't look much different than autonomous image names (at least to me).

At any rate, here's a screengrab of the 3500e download page. "IOS Software" is a download option for the 3500 alongside "Lightweight AP IOS Software":

I haven't installed it on a 3500, but I'm not sure why Cisco would post it as an IOS image if it's not autonomous.

Justin

Interesting.  Thanks Justin.

For LWAPP/capwap vs IOS it's the number alter the w

K9w7 is IOS

K9w8 is light weight

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Justin for pointing that out ... good job! +5

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

You might need to take those stars back. If what Steve is saying about the w7 vs. w8, then maybe what I found is lightweight code. I'll put it on a lab 3500 tonight and report back..

Justin

What you can do is load the 1260 IOS code to it and use it or a survey.

Should start with c1260-k9w7-tar

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yeah I thought that was the ios code as well but alas it is not. Still need to grab 1260 code.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

See that ... Im still right and Im good looking ... What a combination! One only Leo wish he had !