cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect Aironet 3602i AP to Linksys CM100 Cable Modem?

truongduy1901
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, my D-Link DIR-625 Router is connected to Linksys CM100 Cable Modem.

I want to replace the D-Link Router with a Cisco Aironet 3602i Access Point. Apparently, simply connecting the 3602i AP to the cable modem through Ethernet port doesn't work. I've already configured the 3602i AP for wireless surveying and created 2 SSID's.

What do I need to do next to connect Aironet 3602i AP to Linksys CM100 Cable Modem for internet connection?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok that's even better.

Now will do this. 

1. Save the current configuration to AP flash"

ap#copy startup flash:3600-backup.txt

2. Erase the configuration & reload the AP

ap#erase startup-config

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]

[OK]

Erase of nvram: complete

AP#reload

3. Apply the below configuration. Make sure you add the correct password  instead of <SSID_PASSWORD> section below.

conf t
hostname AP01
!
dot11 ssid Gemini
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa version 2
   guest-mode
   wpa-psk ascii <SSID_PASSWORD>
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
 ssid Gemini
 no shutdown
!
interface Dot11Radio1
 ssid Gemini
 channel width 40-above
 no shutdown
!
interface BVI1
 ip address dhcp
!
end
write memory

Will give it a try to this fresh configuration & I think it should helps

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

I do not think you can completely get rid of D-Link device as that provide NAT/ DHCP etc for your home LAN. You can turn-off wireless functionality of that box & use 3600AP for wireless LAN of your home.

You need to connect your AP to one of free ethernet port of your D-Link router. Since these ethernet ports are unmanged (since you cannot configure as dot1q tagging) you canot use multiple SSID with different vlans. (ie if you create sub-interfaces on your radio & gig interface of your AP)

Simple config like below should work. Backup your existing AP configuration & then  try this & see.

conf t
hostname <AP_HOSTNAME>
!
dot11 ssid <SSID_NAME>
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa version 2
   guest-mode
   wpa-psk ascii <SSID_PASSWORD>
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 ssid <SSID_NAME>
 no shutdown
!
interface Dot11Radio1
 ssid <SSID_NAME>
 no shutdown
!
interface BVI1
 ip address dhcp
!
end
write memory
!

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks for the reply. I followed this guide to create SSID's. The first 3602i AP worked fine. The problem is the second 3602i AP.

I set it up pretty much the same as the first one, except the second one has different SSID name.

Even though it says the I am connected to the internet, I couldn't us use Chrome, FF, or IE to surf the web. Chrome gave me this error:

I tried to restart DNS Client in Services, but to no avail. The only apps that could connect to the internet is Viber, a desktop instant messaging app. That was weird. I tried turning off windows firewall, restarting the laptop, but none worked.

Pls attach your AP "show run " output to see the exact configuration.

When you connect your laptop to this AP can you try the below & let us know the output

1. Ping 8.8.8.8

2. Ping google-public-dns-a.google.com

If both succeeds, then your AP is having internet connectivity & proper DNS. If first works , but not the second, then there is an issue with the DNS settings.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

So there is a problem with the DNS setting.

What is the command to "show run"? "show running-config ssid" didn't work. I'm using 153-3.JAB image.

If you telnet/ssh or console into your AP you should  be able get the configuration by issuing "show run" CLI command. That will tells us how DHCP pool configured for the clients & what is the DNS server configured.

I think if you modify that to use a proper DNS server, your issue should be fixed.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Here we go.

Hi 

As suspected there is no DNS server configured under DHCP pool. So your client won't get any DNS server information to resolve URL.

If you already got DNS server information from your ISP you can configure it here. Otherwise you can simply use a public DNS like google (8.8.8.8).

conf t
ip dhcp pool name NAME
dns-server 8.8.8.8
!
exit
!
wr mem
!

Test this & let us know.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

I added the google DNS server but nothing changed. Chrome still gave me the DNS error and only Viber can access the internet. Here is the screen shot of the show run of the AP.

And here is the show run of the other AP that works fine. I don't know what caused the above AP (Gemini) not to work properly.

Hi

I think I made a typo in my config. Try below & see.

conf t
no ip dhcp pool name NAME
ip dhcp pool NAME
dns-server 8.8.8.8
!
exit
!
wr mem

Should work this time :)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Nope.... not working

Ok, If this is the case we need to go step back.

If you remove your AP from the cable modem & plug your laptop with static IP address (192.168.0.10, 255.255.255.0 GW 192.168.0.1 & DNS 8.8.8.8) directly to cable modem, can you browse internet without any problem ?

HTH

Rasika

You mean plugged to the router, right? Then it worked fine.

That's a good sign.

Now if you make your Laptop to DHCP (instead of static) will that get an IP/DNS via DHCP & you can browse ?

Can you verify that ? I want to makesure your router giving DHCP/DNS in that situation.

HTH

Rasika

Yes. Everything else works, except the Cisco router.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card