Views
Helpful
Replies

How to import config from 4404 WLC to WLC 5508

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

In one week I need to import the config from my 4404 WLC to my new 5508, then I just want to change the mgnt IP address of the 5508 and then bring it into the same mobility group.

How do I import the config when the 5508 is straight out of the box?

Many thanks

Carl

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the new 5508 has the same firmware as the 4400.

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

To elaborate:

1. Make sure both WLCs are the same version

2. TFTP your config off of the 4404

3. Setup your new 5508 off net with a temp IP on the mgmt interface.

4. TFTP your config to the 5508

5. Change the mgmt IP address and then connect up to your core.

I've done this quite a few times, I actually have a config pre-staged for generic WLC settings that I use to dump on any new WLC install to save time from having to click through the GUI or use the CLI for the repetitive settings.

The important part is making sure they are the same version, otherwise you will have issues come up or settings will be dropped/defaulted.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Only requirement is to have same verison.

backup from first WLC and restore to the other then change management/ap manager interface IP addresses or whatever else config and then deploy the new WLC in the network.

you better also to read release noets for your version in case it inclues any special instructions about backup/restore operation.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

how do i import the config once the 5508 is out of the box ? do i need to go through the initial setup prompts ? or do i just put an ip on the service interface then copy in ? do you have the commands for this ?

cheers

You can put in bogus info until you get to the service port. Add the correct service port info and then push the new config.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

You need to go through initial setup first!

After that you can connect either using normal management interface or service port interface.
here is the procedure of recovering the backup files: http://tiny.cc/qtngb

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Carl,

We do not support using TFTP to get the config from 4400 and put it on to the 5508..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_managing_ctrlr.html#wp1063850

Configuring the same manually if the best practice..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Heck!!!!

This is unfortunately correct as per the doc you provided! :-(

I am already aware that there are some commands and features differs among different platforms but I thought Cisco passed this barrier by making WLC platform chooses appropriate commands from config file and ignore commands that does not suite importing platform!! but it does not seem to be correct!!!!!

I think if backup config file has only features that another platform support then config restore would possibly work.
But if config file has commands that considered unknown to the importing platform then here the problem may reside!

Surendra: do you know what are the consequences of doing this unsupported scenario of moving backup config amont different platforms?

I think Carl can try restoration process anyway and if does not work he can go to manual configuraiton then. But he is still have the chance of getting the config restored correctly.

Not supported by TAC means not tested and may result in network down situation!!

Regards
Surendra BG

This is understood.

But BU should have passed this barrier. it is not difficult to be implemented with xml config files.

Carl can test it anyway if he is having out-of-the-box different-platform WLC.

We follow wat BU says.. meaning if they have not tested it.. then it means TAC doesnot support!!

But yes.. i can give a try... if this works then i can raise a PER..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

If you can raise a PER then please do.
If they found it works anyway among different platforms then they may simply amend the doc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card