cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remove the WiSM2 from the Catalyst 6500 series switch?

aukhadiev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, can you explain to me how to safely remove the WiSM2 from the Catalyst 6500 series switch?

According to the documentation "Catalyst 6500 Series Wireless Services Module 2 Installation and Verification Note":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To remove the WiSM2, perform these steps:

Step1     Shut down the module by one of these methods:

• In privileged mode from the router prompt, enter the hw-mod module mod shutdown command.
    • NoteIf you enter this command to shut down the module, you must enter the following commands in global configuration mode to restart (power down, and then power up) the module:

Router# no power enable module modRouter# power enable module mod

• If the module does not respond to any commands, press the SHUTDOWN button located on the front panel of the module.

Step2     Verify that the WiSM2 shuts down. Do not remove the module from the switch until the POWER LEDis off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

But, in the case of Step1 (1st methods) I do not see a option "shutdown"  in the command "hw-mod module 3"...

All I prompted to enter is:

c6500#hw-module module 3 ?

boot           Specify boot options for the module through Power Management Bus control register

reset          Reset specified component

simulate  Simulate options for the module

Is it hidden options? IOS version of c6500 is 12.2(33)SXJ1

In the case of Step2 (2nd methods) there is not any button on the front panel of the module?

And yet, it is better to remove the module configuration manually or use the command module clear-config prior to removing the module?

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is it hidden options? IOS version of c6500 is 12.2(33)SXJ1

I think you need to be in configuration mode.

But, accordind documentations -  In privileged mode from the router prompt, enter the...

Of course, before ask for help I tried to do this in configuration mode, but:

------------------------------------------------------

c6500(config)#hw-module module 3 ?
logging  Logging

------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, don't have a 6500 chassis handy at home.

What are you trying to do?  If you are moving the WiSM to another chassis or slot, just save the config of the WiSM and pull it out. 

Another "safe" method is to issue a reload command of the WiSM.  Once you lost CLI connection, disable the power of the slot.

I'm trying to remove this module from the network core chassis to the new service chassis...

Is it safe enough to just disable the power to the slot by  no power enable module 3?

>"Another "safe" method is to issue a reload command of the WiSM.  Once you lost CLI connection, disable the power of the slot"

It's a good idea, thank you...

They are hot swap. I have 20+ WiSM, just unscrew and pull...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I'm very confused ... I have a module WiSM2 not WiSM ... And while I understand that there is no difference in principle, but still ...

...in one document, I see one, but in another I see a very different:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/module/wism2/installation/note/WiSM_2.html#wp34727

Good catch.

Which one is true, will get back to you on this if i've something soon.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/module/wism2/installation/note/WiSM_2.html#wp34727

The above link is procedure to remove wism2. This procedure doesn’t look like wism2 is hot swapable.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/module/wism2/installation/note/WiSM_2.html#wp34621

All modules, including the supervisor engine (if you have redundant supervisor engines), support hot swapping. You can add, replace, or remove modules without interrupting the system power or causing other software or interfaces to shut down. For more information about hot-swapping modules, see the Catalyst 6500 Series Switch Module Installation Guide.

Hi,

WISMs are hot swappable, just checked this in my lab

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Yes, I have no doubt that the module are hot swappable...

But in my view, this means that you can add, replace, or remove something in the system without any impact on the system as a whole... But the service module has own operating system (image), and how "dirty" removing impact on it, I do not know, especially if the documentation says that shutdown is required.

Ive never had a problem.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Don't re-invent the wheel.

Let me put it to you this way:  We shut down two of our Data Centre twice a year (four DC shutdown per year).  We never have any issues with the WiSM-1, WiSM-2.

You DO NOT need to power down the 6500 just because you want to relocate a service module.   The 6500 switch architecture WAS NOT made that way. 

Save the config of the WiSM-2, remove the WiSM-2 and relocate the WiSM-2.

Alot of us have done it this way successfully.

Well, well ... Maybe I'm too reassure ...

to leolaohoo:---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not claim that the chassis must be shutdown , I simply said that according to the documentation I have to shutdown the Service Module

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, George Stefanick and leolaohoo, for the advice of real experience, just controversial moments in the official documentation often leads to confusion ordinary equipment users like me...

I simply said that according to the documentation I have to shutdown the Service Module

LOL!

Ok, ok, ok.

Let me put it this way:

• I've SEEN this document;
  • I've READ this document;
  • I've UNDERSTOOD this document; and
  • I DID NOT follow the instruction of this document. 
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card