Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Inactivity and Carrier test

Anybody have any idea about these two little queries?

Firstly, using an AP350 carrier test. On my test (both 11.23 and 11.10 code) the right hand chart measures the noise in negative dbm. I'm guessing less is better (i.e. more stars in the chart is better). What confuses me is that the following link shows the noise as a percentage in the chart. Anybody know if you have to change a setting to get the percent value, and if you do, is 100% bad and -10% good?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f89e.html#66682

Secondly, a client associated to an AP is "timed out due to inactivity", I guess after a certain amount of time when no data (unicast only perhaps?) is passed from it. Does anybody know what this timeout is, and if you can manipulate it? In addition, has anybody seen problems with LEAP as a direct result of this timeout? (e.g. of message : "2002/10/07 16:55:40 (Info): Deauthenticating [XXX]XXXXXXXXXXXX, reason "Inactivity")

2 REPLIES

Re: Inactivity and Carrier test

Usually the higher the negative number is on the carrier test the less noise you have which would be good. The 100% is bad as far as the noise level test. As far as setting something on the AP to make a client not timeout, the only thing I can think of trying is to increase the beacon rate which you can find at the following link http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/accsspts/ap350scg/index.htm

Re: Inactivity and Carrier test

I'm probably not explaining myself very well. If I look at the carrier tests (all codes look the same), the left chart shows "carrier busy" as a percentage which is fine. The right chart shows "noise" as a negative dbm reading, but the if you look at the URL I listed before, the chart shows the "noise" as a negative percentage. I suspect this is just a documentation error on Cisco's part, but does anybody know for sure?

On the timeout thing, I don't think changing the beaconing settings will help, as the client cards are in constant awake mode.

Views
Helpful
Replies