cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intel 2200BG wifi nic and aironet 1131 LWAPP's

robmaldowsusom
Level 1
Level 1

We recently had a nice sized installation of 1131 LWAPPS's (180) w/ WLC's and a WCS. The problem I'm having is out of the blue one day my Dell Latitude D400 w/ intell 2200BG internal wifi just disconnected and I wasn't able to reconnect. I've since formatted and rebuilt the system to ensure it's the latest n' greatest drivers (I'm running 9.0.4.13) from Dell. I checked Intel's site and they have 9.0.3.26 but nothing mentioned about the connection to LWAPP's problem. I can connect at home and other locations just fine. If I put in an external nic, I can connect to the 1131 LWAPP.

Suggestions? Help?

-Rob-

7 Replies 7

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

There's a Microsoft hotfix that might help, search for KB885453. It's an "upon request" patch that's fixed all sorts of problems I've had with Intel 2200's.

Hi,

I'm facing similar problem. There are quite a number of users with Intel 2200BG often experience intermittent disconnection in an LWAPP office environment. There are also few users using the same Intel 2200BG on the same floor who have stable connections.

I currently set RF channel on the LAPs manually, instead of controlled by WLC. I found that if RF channel were to be controlled by WLC, it changes the RF channels about every 10 minutes which cause client disconnection.

Notebook model is Dell Latitude D610. Intel driver is either 9.0.4.17 or the latest 9.0.4.26.

Does the hotfix really help? How do I download it?

Please advise further.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

To get the hotfix go to microsoft.com and search for the hotfix number to find the KB article. Once you've found the article, phone Microsoft support and tell them you'd like the hotfix from the article. It's free so there shouldn't be any charge. Once you get through to the support tech he'll email you the hotfix.

Lim,

The HOTFIX really didn't fit my needs b/c we're running an open environment w/ no security. We force our users to authenticate to AD via a blue socket authentication appliance (they're re-directed to a login web page when they first try to access the internet).

I recently performed an upgrade on both my WCS and WLC's and magicly, my notebook reconnected to the wireless network!

Just to re-verify, my D400 is running ver. 9.0.4.26 with hardware version 2.1.3

Hi Rob,

What are your WCS and WLC versions before and after upgrade?

Thanks

Zhenning

The WCS went from 4.0.81.0 to 4.0.96.0 and the WLC went from 4.0.179.8 to 4.0.206.0

Hi Rob,

My WLC current software version is 4.0.179.8. Please tell us the stability of 4.0.206.0.

I enabled only 802.11b and 802.11g in my LWAPP environment. The LAP model is LAP1242AG-C-K9. Antenna is AIR-ANT4941 (diversity).

I'm using L3 LWAPP transport mode; the two WLCs (within the same Mobility/RF group) are located at a centralized data center while the LAPs are located at a remote office building. WAN is MPLS L3 VPN. WLC redundancy mode is 1+1. All LAPs join to one controller; the other acts as hot standby.

Clients use Windows Zero Configuration (WZC). Encryption is WPA2/AES and user authentication is using Microsoft PEAP against a backend AD. ACS version 4.0.

Clients use Dell Latitude D610 with Intel PRO 2200BG chipset. Driver version is either 9.0.4.17 or the latest 9.0.4.26. They face frequent disconnections while users with 3945ABG chipset have more stable connections.

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card